Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

At what milage did you WRX owners start to have problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 10:23 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan
Originally posted by ocelot
24,000 mi.. no problems except a little clutch chatter on a few wet, cool mornings, but disappeared when I took more care releasing the clutch. One thing to keep in mind... it's still just an impreza.. not a WRC. Cars that are raced break, period. They break every race. They break during a race and have to be fixed, then go out and finish the race. Race cars are way more durable than $24,000K production cars. If you pound on a WRX it will break. many of the people reporting clutch problems in this thread have significant mods. If you upgrade the HP or torque.. the stock tranny's gonna go. I've heard people say "Every time I downshift into first above 10 mph it grinds"...you don't say? Why anybody's downshifting into first other than from a stop is beyond me. If you're coasting down to a stop, sure it will plunnk into first with no effort when it's ready, but is forcing into first to make that extra 1/10 second around the corner in the bruegger's parking lot really worth trashing your tranny? If you take care of your car it'll last a long time. If you think you're buying a rally car that should go off road and take a beating without breaking.. watch the next WRC race.. even those cars can't do that.. and they cost a wee bit more than $24K.
Points well taken, but how do you justify when STOCK wrx's with NO mods have to go in for service and the trannies are F'd beyond belief. I personally know of one person who traded in his WRX because of this problem: He didn't street race or race on the track and he drove it like a grandma, because he appreciated the car and didn't want anything to happen to it. But then one of his gears, most of the teeth were magically stripped and since he didn't even mod it or anything, he lost faith in Subaru. What is your opinion on that? You have to admit that these trannies aren't all their cracked up to be.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:06 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5 rs
what grade of oil is everyone using ?

I think all car clunk into 1st even with rev matching

but in my mazda mx-3 I was running synthetic 75w90 gear oil and was having trouble from 2nd-3rd so I changed to atf (dealer specified) or hydralic fluid and it has been great now I don't have to let off the gas from 2nd-3rd
Old 01-23-2003, 11:02 PM
VIP Member

ocelot

I had a similar experience with valet parking. My car had about 200 miles on it and I watched the valet boy get in my car and take it to almost redline. I was not happy, explaining to the manager that it was a BRAND new car still being broken in, and proceeded to get that stupid punk fired. Ok I'm happy now that I ranted. Sorry for the off topic folks.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:22 AM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally posted by rexorz
how much is it costing you people to fix your trannies?
if it is under warranty it should not cost you anything..
Old 01-31-2003, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by streko
thank you dwx, you're giving me hope. I'm about to buy a wrx in 2 weeks and this forum really scared the hell out of me because i need this car to last atleast 8 years like my honda.

i wont autox, drag, or rally but occasionally i'll have a little fun on the street if there's a hot girl racing me but seriously i hope my tranny will hold up.
Let me give you more hope. I have a least 150 time slips drag racing. We can race year round down here in S. Florida. I've put 15,000 miles of pure abuse into my car and it runs great. Stock tranny and clutch.

I do 5k drop clutch launches on every run and when I race on the street. Everyone says this will blow up a tranny but mine is still working perfectly.

Any tranny that can handle 150+ 5000rpm drop clutch launches is pretty good in my book. Thats with a Stage 4 WRX also.
Maybe I'm just lucky.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:03 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
Let me give you more hope. I have a least 150 time slips drag racing. We can race year round down here in S. Florida. I've put 15,000 miles of pure abuse into my car and it runs great. Stock tranny and clutch.

I do 5k drop clutch launches on every run and when I race on the street. Everyone says this will blow up a tranny but mine is still working perfectly.

Any tranny that can handle 150+ 5000rpm drop clutch launches is pretty good in my book. Thats with a Stage 4 WRX also.
Maybe I'm just lucky.
Damn that is pretty ****ing lucky, considering all the bad stories we've been hearing of people and their trannies. I hope I can abuse my car as much as you do.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:43 AM

Car Info: Sil. WRX
i'm at 31k and a turbo xs stage 4 setup and i haven't had any problems besides cold clutch chatter....but only 2k on the stage 4.

Quick Reply: At what milage did you WRX owners start to have problems