Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

At what milage did you WRX owners start to have problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 04:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan
only have 450 miles on my new wrx, but i'm wondering about first. it just doesn't seem to flow into the shift, even from a dead stop.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:36 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
So far I have 30,000 miles on my '01 RS 5MT, and nothing but the usual shift-stubbornness, which I expect to go away with new fluid in a few weeks. Also, I had no idea how fragile the trannies were the first year I had it, and I was HARSH. I'm talkin clutch drops, redline power shiffting, the works, just like you se on TV... on the Dkes of Hazzard! Minus the jumping bit, I can't find any haybales or piles of dirt on an actual street here in Cali...

Anyways, having learned my lessons through others' misery, I treat my tranny nicely now. Much better about rev-matching than before, and no drops or power shifting. I think I have at least 20-25k left in it if there aren't already problems, and I think it's fine. I m still planning on a 6MT swap though, so I can go back to my evil ways, hehe!

Also, who cares if we can't downshift into 1st? What's the point? If you're above ~4 mph you can start safely in 2nd anyway. Plus, being more easily able to get it into 1st at higher speeds would cause a LOT more stress on the drivetrain bits from shock.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:43 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5RS Silverthorn
He means that they updated the parts in the 03' trannies and he has the memos to prove it.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:03 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by Jon P. Jacobs
is it a 2002?
Old 01-03-2003, 10:04 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by Cabal
and a limiter was put on to not allow retards to drop the clutch at greater than 3000 RPM and blow out their transmissions.
how does a limiter like that work exactly?? so now if i wanna race and do a nasty AWD launch, i can only do it 3K and below? that doesn't seem very advantageous to my racing, although much safer for the car.

Quick Reply: At what milage did you WRX owners start to have problems