Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

What could be the issue? -4EAT-

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 06:43 AM

Car Info: '02 RS
What could be the issue? -4EAT-

2002 2.5 RS w/ 4EAT, 103,000 miles.

For the first 30 minutes the car operates perfectly.
Strong crisp shifts through the entire RPM range
up to Red-Line in all gears.

After 30 minutes, any time the RPM's get over 3500 in 3rd gear the RPM's
start 'bouncing' like a rev limiter. They swing anywhere from 500 t0 1000 RPM's and the tranny will not shift. It acts like it wants to, but cant. After it does the bounce 5 or 6 times, it finally shifts, and accelerates fine, untill it gets over 3500 RPM's then it bounces again. At first, this only happens under WOT in 3rd gear and any time the RPM's get over 3500 in 4th.

After about 45 to 50 minutes of operation the problem gets worse, to the point where any time I approach 3500 RPM's in ANY GEAR the 'bouncing starts' and the tranny doesn't seem to be able to shift. Eventually, again, 5 or 6 bounces and it shifts, rinse repeat in all gears.

After about an hour to an hour and 20 minutes after the issue first starts, the car becomes completely un-drivable at anything more than idle speed.
if the RPM's get over 1200, the car just sits there and inches along. The engine at this point will start bucking and misfiring. If I shift the gear selector into 'P' or 'N' I can freely rev the engine all the way to Red-line with no problems. Put it back in gear, it goes no where.

I get no CEL's, and my 'AT Oil Temp' light is not blinking nor does it stay on for any length of time.

I originally started out thinking this was a problem with my engine.
I've since replaced all of the following.

o2 sensor.
Plugs.
Wires.
Valve cover, and Plug hole gaskets.
Knock sensor.
Coil Pack.
Grounding Mod.

None of these parts has had any effect on this issue's occurrence, or frequency. Thus I am leaning towards the Transmission being the culprit.

I wanted to know, if anyone else has had an issue like this, if it was trans related, and what the solution was. I'd also like Ideas on what else it might possibly be. I'm getting ready to take it to the dealer to have them look into it, but if I could give them a better idea of where to look instead of them tearing my entire trans apart just to discover the issue, I'd prefer that.

Thanks for any and all help insight and ideas!

Last edited by Bugeyed RU; 08-07-2007 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:06 AM

Car Info: '02 RS
Hmm..

Found this searching.

TCM
Throttle position sensor
2-4 brake duty solenoid
ATF temperature sensor
Line pressure duty solenoid
Control valve
2-4 brake
2-4 brake timing solenoid

Also had others suggest speed sensor malfunction.
The odd part is however, I'm not getting any CELS, nor
any indications from the AT Oil Temp sensor.