Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

weird noise in tranny or clutch??? (searched everywhere)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 08:15 AM

Car Info: 02 blaze yellow wrx
weird noise in tranny or clutch??? (searched everywhere)

when im starting out in 1st gear in my wrx i get a loud scratching, noise like metal on metal. i am pretty sure it is a bearing. it is my every day driver so i cant afford alot of downtime so im seeing if anyone knows what it would be. it only makes noise when releasing the clutch or riding it out. if i rev match in any gear but rev a little higher than where the rpms are then you canhear it in every gear. sitting still it doesnt make any noise with the clutch fully disengaged or pushing it in or out, just mainly when you are taking off from a stop. would this be the pilot bearing or something like that. i dont think it would be the release or throwout bearing since it isnt doing it at idle with the clutch disengaged. anyways if anyone know what the problem might be please help me out. thanks \brett
Old 10-26-2005, 09:05 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
This happened to me also, when I was around 30K miles on my 02 wrx wagon. A metallic scratching noise when pressing the clutch in 1st gear at low speeds (5mph). It would do this a few times a week. After 3K or 4K miles it went away...I never knew what it was (someone on the other site had the same experience of it going away) Im now at 46K miles and it works fine, no problems

Good Luck
Old 10-26-2005, 09:27 AM

this is mainly whe i am releasing the clutch. its loud and annoying but i dont want to mess anything else up by driving it so i am going to try to figure it out this weekend but i didnt know if anyone might know what it is
Old 10-26-2005, 11:06 AM

Car Info: 00 RS
When was the last time you changed your clutch?
Old 10-26-2005, 08:51 PM

i havent ever changed it b/c the guy that had it b/f me put a 6 puck in it and a lightweightflywheel. im thinking im just going to order the sti clutch flywheel and bearings from kingpin or somewhere and it should cure everything b/c i hate a 6 puck for everyday driving.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:36 PM

well we pulled the tranny tonight to find the clutch is shot along with the pp and flywheel. it was a 6puck but the pad was down to scraping the rivots that hold it in. i dont know how it wasnt slipping but it held great. im installing a sti 6speed flywheel and clutch into my 5mt tomorrow. ill let everyone know how it goes. later
brett
Old 10-30-2005, 06:07 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
Get a stock clutch and flywheel if your transmission is stock. I made the decision of gettin an exedy clutch. Its not the clutched fault but my fault i broke a gear. I was driving like a dick and i admit it. Ill beat on the car. Id rather have fun in it then regret it later when i dont have it anymore. Anyways, i drove to hard and stripped 2nd because of the clutch. Id go with stock.