Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Unusual clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 02:17 PM

Car Info: 2003 Impreza WRX
Unusual clutch issues

I will try to give as much information as possible so someone will hopefully have a good idea for what might be my issue. The car is an 03 wrx, stock minus a axle back bpm exhaust. The fluid levels seem to be within a good range and no smell from slipping.

To start, last year around this same time my clutch started to slip but only in 3rd-5th gears while around 3000 rpm (about the time my car is fully boosted). Winter passed and the car stopped doing it, now that it's this time of year again my car has again begun to slip in 3rd-5th gears. The part that boggles me is that you cannot smell anything. Also, It does not always do it, but only on occasion.

I have done some searching but nobody seems to have a real definitive answer to why this could be doing this. I have started to assume that maybe my clutch is the main reason, but I was wonder if it could possibly be something as simple as air in my lines allowing the pressure plate to break free for a second.

Any thoughts or more recent updates from someone with a similar problem would be very helpful. Also, if it is the clutch has anyone done an install themselves on an 03 wrx or similar model? If so, how hard of a job is it, my father and I will most likely be doing the labor because it beats spending 400 for someone else to do it.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:29 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
It might be one of those things that someone that has some knowledge might need to get in the car with you whiile it is happening.

perhaps you are havign some flywheel issues?

How many miles do you have. Perhaps you need your flywheel resurfaced, if you think the clutch is slipping that creates a lot more heat on the flywheel, and if it happens to much you can end up with a cracked flywheel. a buddy of mine even had small parts of his flywheel coming off.

If you have yoru clutch takin care of that is the best time to have yoru flywheel serviced as well. as far as flywheel resurfacing goes. i would leave that to the professionals
Old 11-08-2008, 08:13 PM

Thank you, my clutch started slipping pretty bad tonight on the way home from work so I don't think it's one of my slave cylinders anymore. When I do my clutch next weekend I'll most likely buy a new flywheel as well as I've heard you can't resurface the wrx flywheels for some reason. (Not sure how true that is) If I can get it resurfaced, where would be a good place to send it?
Old 11-08-2008, 08:21 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX PSM
You CAN get the flywheel resurfaced! Call GST and see if they will do it. They have a pretty competitive rate as far as installing a clutch/resurfacing the flywheel, it might be worth the extra dough to have it professionally installed. I am a failure when it comes to installing anything of any relevance, so if you think you are up to it, best of luck!
Old 11-14-2008, 08:06 PM

I just got my clutch kit from Exedy and there was a note in there saying it could possibly be the limited slip differential? (something about a pin coming loose causing an axle to partially disengage) Has anyone had this problem and found that was the case? It doesn't seem likely, but I'm open to give it a shot if I don't have to pull my tranny