Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

torn cv boots

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 09:07 AM

Car Info: 02 wrx
Question torn cv boots

I would like to know how much it would cost to have a shop replace the front cv boots. Also is it worth it to wait until you have to replace the axel before it's worth it to do the work. Is there any other work that can be done while the shop is doing that like replacing the struts or other suspention parts. I think that an allignment is needed after the boots are replaced.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:10 PM

Car Info: 328i
i recently had the front passenger inner and outer cv boots replaced at a subaru dealer. the cost was around $400. it would be more expensive if i waited for the axle to go as well (and personally i would not want to wait for the axle to seize, because that could cause more damage elsewhere, or leave me stranded)

if the axle isn't seized in the hub, they should be able to remove the axle without needing to remove anything else, so there really isn't anything else that you can do at the same time, other than doing both the inner and outer boot of the axle at the same time

if the axle is seized they will either unbolt the lower control arm from the chassis or separate the lower ball joint from the control arm. if they do that, you could get them to replace the lower ball joint while they are at it

i wouldn't wait, it will just get more expensive if you wait (if you have waited too long and the cv joint has had a lot of time to collect dirt etc, it might be too late and you will have to replace the axle)