Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Titanium gears & Tit. syncro replacements?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 02:39 PM

Titanium gears & Tit. syncro replacements?

I have been hearing about a mom and pop machine shope thats been around for a long time here in modesto,

They are known to replace the gears and syncros in your tranny (along with other necessary parts) to transform stock tranys into tranys on crack.

the last place I have all my knowledge would be the trany and gearbox. does this idea sound good? basically it will replace the materials the gears box was fabricated with into titanium leaving everything the same size and ratio it was stock.

what are your ideas on this?

recomended? why.

not recomended? why not?

cant do it... why?

thankyou in advanced.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:59 PM

umm....unless youre thinking about some SERIOUS power mods i'd say its pointless
Old 11-07-2004, 03:08 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Rust and Salt
Titanium is very brittle compared to steel, and with how AWD shockloads the tranny, I'd think that you'd be breaking super expensive titanium gears in a hurry.

But I'd stil be interested in seeing the results and costs involved.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:21 AM

titanium is brittle, as in it will break before it bends, but its tensile strength is way above that of steel, i dont think you'd break them unless you tried really hard....
Old 12-04-2004, 08:41 PM

Lightbulb

Titanium is not brittle. it is just as good as alloy steels in tension strenghth, even stronger in shear strength and performs well at high temps -which makes it a good candidate for gears. The problem is that transmission gears have to be machined and titanium is difficult and therefore expensive to machine because it tends to gull on steel. It is also very notch sensitive meaning cracks easily develope around tool marks, notches, and scratches. Those would happen a lot when shifting gears and what not.

Titanium is hands down the best material for racing exhausts though. If you have a large pocket book.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:07 PM

Car Info: 02' WRX
Titanium is not better than steel. Its lighter and has more tensile stregnth.

Thats it.

It's less durable. It galls everything. It is more brittle.

Look up titanium valve retainers and see how many a person has learned why titanium is a RACE-ONLY material. It doesnt last very long....
Old 12-12-2004, 06:36 PM

Car Info: 05 2.5RS Wagon Royal Blue Pearl
Titanium is a terrible material for gears/sycros. Ti alloys are good for tubing/sheet metal, anywhere else is marketing. Do you really think Ti helps make your razor better, no, it’s called perceived quality. Ti is strong and heat resistant, but it galls really easily. It is this gall-ability that keeps it out of bearings/gears/knife blades/etc. Ti is also a reactive metal as it tends to seize when in direct contact with other metal, especially other Ti parts. Just ask a cyclist that hasn’t properly used anti-seize when using Ti bolts or threading/pressing parts onto a Ti frame. Ti is expensive because it is hard to work/refine/alloy, it is actually something like the 6th most abundant metal on the planet.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:50 PM

Car Info: 95 Impreza coup, green, 5speed 1.8l awd
[QUOTE=Br1t1shguy]Titanium is not better than steel. Its lighter and has more tensile stregnth.QUOTE]

depending on what steel it doesnt even have that advantage