Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Synchros and Gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 08:17 AM

Synchros and Gears

I've searched, but have not found an answer regarding EXACTLY what I need, especially regarding stuck gears or these kinds of problems on stock, babied cars.

For background, my car is completely stock. The last driver was my father, who babied it, and it is a 2004 WRX wagon with 36,000 miles. Here are my questions:

1) If I down shift into second at roughly 30 miles per hour, I can HEAR my scynchro wind up on the way in. My Integra GS-R and Civic never did that. Is this normal or am I hurting the car in some way?

2) Occasionally (1/50 shifts), even though as far as I can tell I always shift the same way, I hear a grind when shifting into first when moving 5mph or less. Once it even did it at a dead stop coming from reverse to first. The service manager at Secor Subaru in New London, CT said that this is normal and that 90% of these cars do it, but that it does not necessarily mean that first gear is bad. He said that unless it regularly grinds into first at a dead stop, the tranny is fine and not replaceable under warranty.

3) When cold, I put the car into first gear and drive away. It is very difficult to get the car OUT of first gear, and then hard to get into second. Problem goes away when warm.

I (or my father) have never autocrossed, raced, or launched this car hard. I plan on driving it until it dies, and therefore do not plan on modding it or shifting it aggressively. Is this normal, or should I go back to the dealer and raise a stink until they really take a look at it? I've never experienced either of these problems in another car, even my 218,000 mile Integra. I would like to know what anyone else has to offer. Please let me know, it would greatly help me.

Sincerely,
-Sean
Old 05-21-2005, 02:42 PM

Car Info: 95 Impreza coup, green, 5speed 1.8l awd
all is normal except getting it OUT of first when cold
did you mean going out of first and getting it into second is difficult because that is normal also but different trany fluid will take care of this problem
Old 05-23-2005, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the info.

As far as hard to get OUT of first gear, I mean that it is actually hard to pull it OUT of first gear and into neutral when it is cold, it requires additional force. I will ask about it at my next oil change and let you know what they say.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:05 PM

Car Info: 95 Impreza coup, green, 5speed 1.8l awd
thats a new one to me
never heard of problems getting out of gear just going into gear
Old 05-23-2005, 02:28 PM

Car Info: '05 STi
Originally Posted by sean96gsr
Thanks for the info.

As far as hard to get OUT of first gear, I mean that it is actually hard to pull it OUT of first gear and into neutral when it is cold, it requires additional force. I will ask about it at my next oil change and let you know what they say.
I have this same problem with my '05 STi. Going into and out of gears needs a little more force.

As for going into first after a stop, try going into 4th then 1st. Sometimes, I go 2nd into 1st also.