Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Is the subaru 5 speed that bad

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 02:17 PM

Car Info: silver 2.5 tr 2006MT wrx
GO in calmly and explain that if they do not fix it, that you will set the car on fire and drive it right through the ****in dealership.
they are supposed to fix everything that is under warranty. look up the magnasun moss act. some legal documant. they can not though warranty a new tranny for 3 years, 36000 miles though, they will try to fix it up till the warranty runs out. if it is a rs, try this ****, trade it is for a 2003 wrx, they are trying to get rid of the all for the 2004 (make room).
Old 05-26-2003, 10:25 AM

Car Info: 05 CGM FXT STi
2nd part of the lemon law...if your car is less than a year old and has been in the shop for 30 days or more, it automatically becomes a buy-back, or "lemon" people usually dont use this part of the lemon law, but it does exist...so far mine was in the shop for 24 days just for the friggin transmission. it has to go back for paint work (defect under the clear coat) and suspension noise. Every manufacturer has its lemons, my fiancee had an 01 VW golf that was in the shop 15 times for the same thing for way more than 30 days total. its a long process arbitration, etc. buy IMO its well worth it to fight.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:07 PM

Car Info: silver 2.5 tr 2006MT wrx
set it on fire and ram it into the show room floor. then when the car goes up, and the building fall s down, ask them if any of iut is covered by insurance, gues what it won't be. they will have to get the money out of you some how, and say you aready got my 4800$
Old 11-26-2003, 11:20 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
BigSteve-

I just purchased a 2002 WRX with about 58,000 miles on it. I studied its history pretty thouroughly and found the car was female (not saying that some females can't beat on a car...but this one didn't) driven, 75% of the time on the highway. I've had the car for two weeks and there are a couple things I've noticed:

1) Cold clutch shudder - this problem has actually lessened in the last couple days - as long as you take it easy when it's cold and let the clutch warm up a bit, it's not too much of a bother. I did call a local Subaru dealer here in MI and they said there's no recall nor did they recieve notice about it from SOA. Find it kind of suprising, since it's a prevailent problem among '02 owners.

2) Tough to get into revearse once.

3) Gurgling sound when letting clutch out (slowly) and in first gear. This one kind of worries me - I think it's just gear oil, but not sure yet. I'll be changing out the gear oil at 60,000 miles, per SOA recommendation.

So there definately seem to be some problems that are inherent to the design, yes, but I would attribute some of the more major problems people are having (broken gears, syncros, etc.) to driving style. To be perfectly blunt, I highly doubt any gear breakage problems are due to manufacturing tolerance issues - this theory that someone proposed is bologna in my opinion.

Subaru can advertise it as a rally car all they want, but the fact of the matter is the gearbox was designed for the street, not the race track. Putting in the STi 6-speed won't solve the problem (albeit maybe a stronger transmission) if you're driving it like a race car all the time. Put in the correct transmission for that use...and even then it could break.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:40 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX / 08 Forester
Originally posted by dhm2163
1) Cold clutch shudder - this problem has actually lessened in the last couple days - as long as you take it easy when it's cold and let the clutch warm up a bit, it's not too much of a bother. I did call a local Subaru dealer here in MI and they said there's no recall nor did they recieve notice about it from SOA. Find it kind of suprising, since it's a prevailent problem among '02 owners.

This problem was experienced by a number of '02 owners. SOA put out a TSB on it and delearships have been repairing them under warranty (with the replacement parts listed in the TSB). Talk to SOA if the dealership is giving you the run-around. I believe the TSB # was 03-51-02R.

- Kean
Old 11-26-2003, 07:41 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info Kean (hey, I got your name right this time...)

Do you happen to know exactly what the fix is? If it's a different clutch design, I'm all for it, but if the solution is a heavier flywheel (which seems like a band-aid) I'm not so sure it wouldn't be better to try something in the aftermarket.

What is "TSB"?

Thanks again...
Old 11-26-2003, 07:49 PM

Tech Service Bulletin, nevermind...
Old 11-26-2003, 08:05 PM

You ordered the following items:
Lit Number: 03-51-02R Qty: 1 Description: Cold Clutch Judder (revised)

Kind of funny it takes only five minutes to order @ techinfo.subaru.com. I'll post some pertinent points from the bulletin when I get it if anyone is interested.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:56 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX / 08 Forester
....sorry for the delay in response. It sounds like you got the info you needed though.