Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Is the subaru 5 speed that bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 09:08 AM

Location: Perrin Race DP Perrin Up-pipe Blitz Nur-spec CB Blitz LM intake TXS UTEC GFB BOV
It's not as bad as some have made it out to be. People are running low 12's on stock drivetrain. Do a search and you can find all of your answers.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:14 PM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
Yes, it is that bad. Not only is it a poor design, but their QC is bad. Many people have no problems, and many chunk gears. Some try to chaulk it up to technique, but that is a load of horse $hit.

They have a bad problem with "case flex" in the 5mt. I now have the 6MT and have had it for aprox 6 months without a single glitch. I went through 2 5's before biting the bullet and getting the 6. So did my friend, the Imprezer.

I love the 6!
Old 04-06-2003, 01:39 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
You can destroy any gearbox if you try hard enough. It's just easier with the 5mt whan the 6. As far as strengthening it, I wouldn't bother. Just blow it up once, and then put another cheap one in while you figure out how to get a 6MT in there. That's likely all you need.

Speaking of swapping gearboxes, I need a little help here.

Last edited by Kevin M; 04-06-2003 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:41 PM

I had 260 Dyno Jet WHP. I did not drive hard. Second gear went on one, the other one was a lemon from the get go (Wouldn't stay in gear.

There are MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY broken 5 speeds. I even know of a few who havn't adminted it (uh ummm freddie )

There are quite a few lawsuits on the issue right now. One guy that I know has had Subaru attempt to settle out of court for $50,000 and his lawyers advised against it. Something is fishy.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:42 PM

Car Info: 05 CGM FXT STi
Bad WRX...do you have any contact info or general info on any of these cases other than word of mouth??? My tranny went and they are sending a factory rep to look at it, regular driving I did absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, and they say its "stuck between gears" 4000 miles : ( let me know if you can help. thanks.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by BigSteve
dude should I not be getting a Scooby. I mean this sounds rather bad. Tranny's really suck to rebuild, does the 6 speed bolt right in? Should I go elsewhere for my next car?
An awesome car, with a weak link in the wrong spot. I nearly gave up on my Subaru, until I found my beloved 6mt.

If I were you, I would get a STI. And yes sir, the 6MT is "Nearly" a direct bolt in. You need a 3.90 rear ring and pinion, and a shortened driveshaft, that is all.

Quick Reply: Is the subaru 5 speed that bad