Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Strange steering behavior

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 12:42 AM
HJC

Strange steering behavior

Hello, I got my WRX a few months ago and noticed that the steering wheel was off center. I've read a few posts and some mentioned that theirs was like this from the factory too and that centering the wheel was very difficult during alignment. So I just figured it was a minor defect that didnt really make a difference since the car went straight even when the steering wheel wasnt.

Now after driving a while, I noticed something about the off center steering. Most of the time the steering wheel would be tilted to the right and the car is going straight. But after a hard left curve (like accelerating on a curvy freeway onramp) the steering wheel would be straight and the car is straight. After a while, the steering wheel would eventually go back to being off center to the right.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. I would go to the dealer but it's hard on my schedule, but I may have to eventually.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:25 PM

my car has the exact same problem where the wheel is cocked slightly to the right while driving straight. it wasent always like this, i hit a curb in the snow tring to drift.... goin too fast (ouch). i got an alignment but its still like that.. id ont know if i bent something but its not that bad.. i just got used to it, although if you keep thinkin about it , its very annoying while you drive.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:01 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX Sedan
Mine does the same thing, even after wheel balancing and an alignment. It annoys the crap out of me!
Old 07-21-2003, 10:38 PM
HJC

The thing that annoys me the most is that sometimes it's centered after a hard left turn. Then after a little right curve, it goes back to off center.

I wish it was consistant that way at least I won't feel as if something's loose inside.

I love everything about this car except this little annoyance.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:59 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
i have the exact same issue, i even tried replacing the steering rack bushings but it didn't help.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:56 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
hmmm. i'm really **** about tire pressures and alignment, so i don't think that's the problem on my ride.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:16 PM
HJC

I just got a 4 wheel alignment and the steering wheel is straight now. Hope the rest of you find a solution soon. I understand how annoying it could be.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:55 AM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
go to another alignment shop. I has similar issue in the past. When and got an alignment and didn't work. Until I try the last shop I went to. It's good now. I even rallyx a few times since and still driving straight. btw, tire pressure could be the problem as well. check just to make sure
Old 08-16-2003, 12:22 AM
HJC

update:
The steering center was still off. Now it's center only after a hard right turn, instead of the left turn previously. And it's tilted the left now after a left turn.

I saw a found a few posts on nasioc.com and installed whiteline steering bushings as recommended. Problem definetly solved and noticably improved steering response too.