Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Strange grinding sound in neutral??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 03:50 PM

Strange grinding sound in neutral??

does anyone else have this problem?? its when the clutch is engaged.. theres this annoying grinding/rattling sound thats coming from the transmisson, but as soon as i push down on the clutch the sound goes away. i was told that it was a throw out bearing but wouldnt that do the opposite and make the sound when i put my foot on the pedal? someone else told me that its probably my input shaft bearing thats out of place... anyone else have this problem?
Old 06-29-2003, 11:18 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
The input shaft bearing does that on my Datsun 280ZX. When I release the pedal in neutral, it makes a grining/rattling sound, and it goes away when I push the clutch pedal. Either way, you need some work done.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:52 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
kenchan, unless you are referring to the clutch judder problem, you won't get a new clutch just because it is slipping. That will be considered excessive wear.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:32 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black Wrx
Im not sure about the Subaru but I get this with my bike and its normal. When you dont pull the clutch in the plates spin and make some noise, very faint though. Its a definite spinning sound and when you let the clutch lever out in neutral you can hear the noise again. Its completely normal on my bike. But if yer getting a grinding sound thats different. There is obviously something rubbing in there if its grinding and I would go back to your dealership and bug them. Otherwise if it truley is something wrong you may end up on the side of the road somewhere if it blows.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:45 PM

my tranny definetly has a grinding sound. it was a lot worse but its gotten better. its still there and its very annoying. i had an appointment with subaru but the rescheduled it after the holiday... i lll let you konw what they say.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:16 PM

Car Info: VW
I just got mine back from having a flywheel replaced and a few times I heard a grinding/spinning noise if i am stopped and hold the clutch to the floor. I thought it was the TOB but I looked at the parts on the service ticket and a new TOB was on there. It had the p/n 30502aao51. Could this be the TOB?
Old 07-19-2003, 07:22 PM

well, subaru said they couldnt duplicate the problem but they are going to do the judder tsb, so if that doesnt fix it , im going back. i dont know if they will replace the TOB but its think its either that or the input shaft bearing... so ill let you guys know.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:55 PM

the noise is gone!!!! after i got my car back from the tsb, the noise is gone. i believe it was the TOB and i believe they replaced that, or the clutch needed to be adjusted or something... im not sure but the noise is gone... . im advise, get the tsb done... its free!

as a technican, it kinda doesnt make sense.... the noise should have been a input shaft bearing, but its gone so i dont care.

Quick Reply: Strange grinding sound in neutral??