Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

started as a axle leak now what

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 04:50 PM

Car Info: URBAN GREY 07 STI
Unhappy started as a axle leak now what

ok i noticed i had a leak from the passanger side axle going into the gearbox,ok i said i new this is a common problem with 2002 and up wrx's. I said to my self, you know the dealer is going give you a real hard time wth your mods. I have uppipe and bosal down with cobb stge II on the acessport. the car runs very very good by the way. so i did the smartest thing you can do for your wrx I made a apointment with precision tunning I love that place, rich does fantastic work their. well i get their rich brings me right in the garage up goes the rex on the lift rich ask me what side was it again cause, he forgot i said passanger side he said i have both left and right axle gaskets just in case. its good thing he did cause we noticed both sides were leaking. I told rich might as well do both sides. rich does the work and tells me you have some play in your roller bearings in the gearbox. now im very very pissed off inside cause i take very very good care of my car never never droped the clutch never speed shift i always let off the gas when i shift. I got the car brand new ,it still to this day shifts great in all gears. rich then tells me your gear box can probably last 50.000 or even a 100.000 before you really have to do something. rich drains the oil from the gear box inspects the drain plug for any metal pieces on it cause the drain plug is magnetic any metal would stick to it. rich finds one tiny tiny i mean tiny like the size of human short hair, the oil looked good coming out wasnt burnt no other metal pieces were found. my car has 23.000 miles only !!! .I wander how many wrx's out there have the same problem of premature wair of the roller bearings . now im dabating i should just trade it in for a 2005 wrx sti . any guru experts on these gearbox with any insight please respond with any information. like a said before the gearbox runs fantasic no problems no syncro problems just this dam leak that got repaired that lead me in to the problem with play of the roller bearings .