Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Speed Sensor Not Working And Won't Rev Past 5K in Every Gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 03:56 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon World Rally Blue
Unhappy Speed Sensor Not Working And Won't Rev Past 5K in Every Gear

I have an 02 wrx wagon and the speedometer stopped working along with the engine not able to get past 5000rpm's in any gear, it just starts stalling, and the miles don't register anymore on my digital gauge. I had a transmission shop swap the speedo gear from my original 02wrx trans into an 05LGT 5spd trans, since the leagacy's speedo was run from the wheel sensor instead of the transmission. I have ruled the following things out so far: I have checked all my fuses, the wiring connections from the sensor to the group of wires that goes into the main group of wires running through my firewall, the sensor itself(I replaced it 100 bucks I'll never get back), unplugging the battery overnight, and resetting my mapping software, hell I even tried banging on it with a wrench to see if that would do anything! Any opinions and help from some well knowledgable Scooby owners is much appreciated! I am wondering if I could put the sensor in the same place as the LGT (on the wheels?), or maybe there is an electrical connection problem between the transmission wires and the ECU, or TCU? Or if anybody would recomend a good mechanic who wouldn't be interested in how deep my pockets are.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:32 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
The speed sensor gear...the one that's driven by 3rd/4th gear cluster...is probably sitting at the bottom of the transmission.
Have the shop that did the swap look at it for you.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:16 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon World Rally Blue
I would gladly take it back to the shop if I was still in Texas I am going to do what the Brucelee man suggested and just take my scoob into GST Motorsports shop and have them take a look at it and see what they recommend. I can only warn others that a transmission shop run in the state of Texas should not be trusted, and probably any other shop that does not have specialty knowledge of imports and specifically Subarus, since they are 'touchy' at times. I have learned my lesson though, and also that only quality parts are going into my car as well from here on out. I say do your resaerch because the best deal isn't always what you should look for...