Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Shredded second gear. Replacing Gearset.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 07:21 PM

Shredded second gear. Replacing Gearset.

My second gear shredded the other day. I havnt had anyone crack open my tranny yet. Right now my best option seems to be buying RA gears w/ new bearings and new sychros to be sure. Im going to have it installed by professionals, however, due to my extremely tight budget going back to school, i need to know if there is anything else i might need to provide besides the RA set from Gruppe-s, their bearings, and their synchros. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:04 AM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
I shredded my second gear two months ago, in June, and I just got my car back from Gruppe-s on Friday. (The shipping from Japan is what delayed it.) I ended up having them install the standard edition RA gears, ACT Streetlite flywheel, Exedy Organic sport clutch, and all the neccesary bearings, synchros, and shifter forks. They had my car in and out within a week. The only thing that I didn't plan on is having them replace my front differential because I drove it so much after I blew the tranny (hey, it's my only car)...I actually only ruined the pinion rings but they replaced the whole diff because it was cheaper and less time consuming. So you're on the right track, just don't drive it after it's broken or you could screw something else up. All in all, I love the setup and wouldn't do it any different. Good luck!
Old 08-22-2005, 08:37 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
How much was everything total in the end? i just blew 2nd gear bout 45 minutes ago and i think the best thing to do is get the ra gearset and supporting parts.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:32 AM

Update

My car is currently sitting at a local tuning shop, dynocomp, with a new RA tranny on route. The shop wouldnt even open my tranny up because he said there could be so much more wrong. His advice was, if you blow a wrx gear, rather than buy an RA gearset, go to gruppe-s or your local suby tuner and buy a prebuilt RA trans. 3500 bucks, but hey, as long as it doesnt blow again. I cant wait to try out the new gears.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:26 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX WRB wagon, Borla catback
Lightbulb

I am in the same situation with a blown 2nd gear. Anyone know of a 03+ WRX tranny for sale?
Old 09-06-2005, 10:07 PM

Car Info: My 2009 FIT for sale!!!!!!!!!!
go with gruppe-s..........

Originally Posted by forced4
I am in the same situation with a blown 2nd gear. Anyone know of a 03+ WRX tranny for sale?
Old 09-07-2005, 02:48 AM

Car Info: 03 Supreme Wagon
Originally Posted by ej20boost
go with gruppe-s..........
but make sure the tranny comes with axle stubs!!! mines didn't! those b!tches!
Old 09-07-2005, 04:04 AM

Car Info: '03 Wrx w/vf-34, sti pinks,tbe, 2.5l cobb block
you can also try mpj. they quoted me at $2k for everything with install.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:55 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
How are you guys managing to destory your second gears?

Did this happen during a shift, while driving hard? didnt engage enough clutch? seriously... whats each one of your stories... I'm really curious about whats going on...

Do you guys have short shifters? Were the synchros not able to keep up?

What happened? all of you..

My situation, I was driving in third gear in my 03 mustang GT came to a stop sign, but only slowed down... I proceeded to make my left turn, clutched in... blipped the throttle, downshifted to 2nd (felt like the reincarnation of Christ, so i...) just dropped the clutch and mashed the gas to peel out and hear 2-3 clicks... Turned out, I wasted the life out of my rear differential, basically broke 2 teeth... Btw, my car is boosted, my cousin has a stock GT and hes dropped the clutch aggressively before, I know these differentials can hold a lot of power, but mine broke 2 teeth... Cost me 600 bucks to get it replaced (the entire differential that is...)

I'm about to purchase an 06 wrx, thats why im sort of concerned what happened with you guys... was it due to abuse? If so, I can understand... let me know!
Old 09-13-2005, 01:59 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Most of the stories I read are the hard 1 to 2 shift
Old 09-15-2005, 02:01 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by Boost Addict
How are you guys managing to destory your second gears?

Did this happen during a shift, while driving hard? didnt engage enough clutch? seriously... whats each one of your stories... I'm really curious about whats going on...

Do you guys have short shifters? Were the synchros not able to keep up?

What happened? all of you..

My situation, I was driving in third gear in my 03 mustang GT came to a stop sign, but only slowed down... I proceeded to make my left turn, clutched in... blipped the throttle, downshifted to 2nd (felt like the reincarnation of Christ, so i...) just dropped the clutch and mashed the gas to peel out and hear 2-3 clicks... Turned out, I wasted the life out of my rear differential, basically broke 2 teeth... Btw, my car is boosted, my cousin has a stock GT and hes dropped the clutch aggressively before, I know these differentials can hold a lot of power, but mine broke 2 teeth... Cost me 600 bucks to get it replaced (the entire differential that is...)

I'm about to purchase an 06 wrx, thats why im sort of concerned what happened with you guys... was it due to abuse? If so, I can understand... let me know!
well there is a guy taht comes to the meets he has over 350hp on a stock wrx tranny

i can give you a ride in mine just post a thread in so cal
Old 09-15-2005, 02:53 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by subie OCD
Most of the stories I read are the hard 1 to 2 shift
Sounds like driver error makes the most sense... I guessing easing the clutch out willl reduce any possibility of damage

Sigma Pi: I appreciate the offer... I've got a few buddies with rex's so I know its capability and they havent ever broken gears, so when i read about this... it came as a bit of a shock, like WOW all these people are thrashing 2nd, is it the tranny or the driver?

Seems to be driver related, no? (although the stock tranny IS a little more frail than it should be)
Old 10-06-2005, 08:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
The stock tranny is "a little" more frail than it should be? If you have an MY-02 WRX, "frail" is an understatement. I cannot vouch for the strength of the next generation Subie transmissions, but I will say the "updated" synchros and clutch I received, which supposedly are MY03 parts, are already breaking down on me with normal boring street use.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:28 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by thebankman
The stock tranny is "a little" more frail than it should be? If you have an MY-02 WRX, "frail" is an understatement. I cannot vouch for the strength of the next generation Subie transmissions, but I will say the "updated" synchros and clutch I received, which supposedly are MY03 parts, are already breaking down on me with normal boring street use.
Is that right??? Supposedly, they further reinforced the tranny for 04, and then again in 06? Jeez, this isnt sounding good, especially since I have some exhaust work and retune planned for the car... although my driving habits consist of gas saving techniques, shifting at low rpm, driving the right lane, etc

however, once in a while to unleash the beast, do you really think itll cause any damage to floor through gears, but shift properly and smoothly? meaning engaging clutch, shifting while OFF the gas, then release clutch gently while applying gas again?

If its THAT sensitive, i mean cmon... One of my buddies has an 02, but he isnt into modding the car... the only thing he experiences is clutch shudder in first gear, but thats it... but he doesnt race his car, or drive in a spirited fashion, rather boring driver...

I'm starting to really feel this is driver related. Any other stories, guys? Feel free to drop more tranny experience here..
Old 10-07-2005, 01:29 PM

Car Info: civic
Originally Posted by Boost Addict
Is that right??? Supposedly, they further reinforced the tranny for 04, and then again in 06? Jeez, this isnt sounding good, especially since I have some exhaust work and retune planned for the car... although my driving habits consist of gas saving techniques, shifting at low rpm, driving the right lane, etc

however, once in a while to unleash the beast, do you really think itll cause any damage to floor through gears, but shift properly and smoothly? meaning engaging clutch, shifting while OFF the gas, then release clutch gently while applying gas again?

I'm starting to really feel this is driver related. Any other stories, guys? Feel free to drop more tranny experience here..

course not! how else would v-tec kick in?

Quick Reply: Shredded second gear. Replacing Gearset.