Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Shifting techniques

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 06:30 PM

Car Info: 2001 sub. imp.
1)I noticed that the car will not go into first at all if its not at a complete stop.

pretty much how it goes, you can rev-match to get it in gear, but its not really necessary to be in first unless at a complete stop

2)The fact that its AWD does that make it harder to downshift and launch?

yup

3)When slowing down to a stop and im in fourth I double clutch to third but never get to second. What do you guys do? Do you guys downshift at all?

i rev-match and downshift every gear(except of course 1st), seems to work fine. maybe you are down shifting too late?

4)Once I get to a complete stop and the last gear i was in was third. Is it ok to shift straight into first or should i shift in to second with the clutch all the way down for the hell of it and then into first to begin moving?

it is fine to just put it in 1st

5)When making a right hand turn, do you guys downshift into second when entering the turn? or do you coast in third and into second after exiting the turn?

depends on at what speed and what driving conditions and what my attitude is entering the corner.

6)On a hill, is it bad for the tranny if you hold the car with the gas and clutch?

yeah, it wears down the clutch.

hope i helped a bit. and the subarus are hard to drive smoothly, just practice practice practice
Old 06-15-2003, 03:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan
You had a turbo Civic (so did I) and you're asking questions about shifting in and out of turns? Seems to me the techniques are about the same.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:34 PM

well if your in 4th and coming to a stop you probably want to just put it in neutral and just use the brakes... its harder on the brakes but hey its much easier changing your brake than it is droppin your tranny to put in a new clutch.
and shifting is not crisp due to the retarded gear ratios. if you take a look at em, they are very far apart... execpt 2-3. just get used to it... i found that ive been slippin the clutch to get it smooth.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:07 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
i found that ive been slippin the clutch to get it smooth.
you're better off trying to match revs than slipping the clutch, your clutch will last longer. to make the 3-2 downshift, you have to blip the throttle pretty high (~5.5k RPM) to smoothly match revs (i double clutch if that helps). 5-4, and 4-3 are cake, and matching is easy.
on a side note, there are times when i have to downshift into 1st for a corner, and you have to get the revs perfect, or it won't go into gear.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:19 AM

Car Info: 2004 Black WRX wagon
oh man.. shifting @ redline(race mode ) is pretty harsh. i mean, i learned how to drive stick on my brand new rex, but after a while, i've gotten the hang of it. Around town, i can drive it smoothly. My only problem is going from 1 to 2nd quickly. i always get a thump.

anyhoo... around turns, i usually keep it in 3rd, then down to 2nd. It's probably because i'm not a confident driver and i have to focus all my attention on looking around the turn. Plus, i'm affraid i'll mess up and somehow it'll cause me to go into a wall. wow, you guys must think i suck. haha.

anyhoo..1st gear is kind of a punk. It's rather hard to get into. when i first got the car, i couldn't get into first gear unless i was stopped. Now, i double clutch it in. Don't force it... Seems like you could, but i've heard horror stories about people breaking first gear.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:44 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black WRX wagon
dropping.. ouch!. haha.

oh... so shifting @ red is bad?! that's what i've been doing at the track!