Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Shifting...Am I too slow (old man style) Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 09:01 AM

Car Info: 2002 White WRX Wagon (WWW)
Originally posted by SHADO
Why does everyone is this post think i know nothing about what im talking about lol
Double clutching can be used on the up or downshift, either way is used to protect the synchro's, on the up-shift it is done by releasing the clutch in neutral in between gear changes, and on the down-shift by blipping the throttle with the clutch out in neutral(no point blippin if the clutch aint out) and putting it straight into the lower gear ---> which is good

Ok before you were saying that when you double clutch on the upshift you blip the throttle (a "race" technique you said...) and that was just plain wrong, so that's why:

Secondly about the double clutching, i may not have been clear in what i said in my previous post, blipping the throttle on
UP-shifting is a racing technique, when racing it is a priority to keep the car in the power band, and this cannot happen with the revs dropping on every gear change, so yes it is a racing technique but should obviously never be used in normal driving as it puts unecessary strain on the drive/powertrain.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:36 AM

Car Info: GDA
between the bad advice and the sloppy shifting techniques mentioned in this thread, it's no wonder why so many wrx's have tranny problems. i'm not saying the tranny isn't weak...just that drivers who don't know what they're doing or those who WILLINGLY abuse their tranny exacerbate the problem.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:06 PM

Car Info: 2002 White WRX Wagon (WWW)
KmanRuffian i still believe that blipping the throttle on the up-shift is technique done to keep the revs up, though i realise i may be incorrect about what it is called.
I know its silly for me to refer to this, but rememba in the movie The Fast and The Furious, when vin diesel wins the race and says to the other guy he wasnt double clutching, i think that what he was referring to as blipping the throttle on the up-shift, even though that whole movie was pretty much mechanically incorrect and had more to do with special FX.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Too Fast!
Too FURIOUS!
I'm TOO FAST FO' YALL!

Ok, I'm not touching that one... I'm done with this thread. I'll be walking away now... SHADO you can think as you please but please don't spread technical advice you gathered from Vin Diesel around this forum. Plus, we all know he didn't have time to double clutch because he was busy making the 50 shifts he made while drag racing in a straight line!
Old 02-24-2004, 06:32 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS(Ti)
Shado, you may have a point in your blipping the throttle for upshifts, but only in race cars with extremely low rotational mass in the engine. Because of this the rpms in a race car will drop much much quicker than that of a street car. Still the rpms should decrease for upshifts, as mentioned earlier. The rotational speed of the engine and the speed of the car are related by the tire diameter, differential gear, and transmission. There is an exact ratio for each gear that relates rpm => speed (as long as the wheels are not slipping). Race car transmissions have much closer ratios as well, which means the rpms don't have to drop as much, to keep the rpms in the power band, which is usually a higher range in race cars.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:30 PM

Car Info: 04' wrx
Originally posted by Wutzdatbehindu
Also, double clutching can also help u keep ur brakes alive for a lil longer since u slow down as u shift into a lower gear.
Pads are cheaper than a clutch. m2c
Old 03-03-2004, 10:08 AM

Car Info: WRB 2003 WRX
Originally posted by KmanRuffian
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Too Fast!
Too FURIOUS!
I'm TOO FAST FO' YALL!

Ok, I'm not touching that one... I'm done with this thread. I'll be walking away now... SHADO you can think as you please but please don't spread technical advice you gathered from Vin Diesel around this forum. Plus, we all know he didn't have time to double clutch because he was busy making the 50 shifts he made while drag racing in a straight line!
I'm with you on this one..... Kmanruffian is right. Please if you don't know the inner working of your transmission and some basic physics ..... don't give other people the wrong advice, by doing so you are only teaching them to destroy their tranny. Peace all =)