Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Shifting a 2004 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 09:20 PM

Cool to see all the responses. None really jerky either. Couple of things.,.....

1)What does rip a shift mean? .lol

2) The shift from 1st to 2nd really can be tough. Usually you have to let the clutch out real slow...especially if you didn't rev a lot in 1st. So if you're trying to drive conservative....you'll be driving real slow it seems.

3) Rev matching is pretty fun. Today coming off the highway I had to break quickly and I wound up going into 3rd gear. I put the clutch in and gave it some gas. When i let the clutch out it was crazy. I thought I had it in neutral it was so smooth.

4) Shifting to 5th doesn't seem too smooth a lot of the time. The actual feel of the shifter into 5th feels more crunchy. Sometime this happens and sometimes it doesn't. When I mean crunchy I mean more mechanical. Not like grinding. Ok....take care folks and drive safe.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:15 AM

Car Info: WRBlue 2k5 Subaru WRX STi
Glad you had fun rev matching...Remember though, our cars doesn't like shifting in low RPMs, so practice shifting from 1st to 2nd around 2800 to 3200 RPMs.

As for shifting from 4th to 5th, it should be the smoothest out of all the shifts! When you shift, try not to look for the 5th gear. Instead, shift diagonally naturally... you know what I mean? Just try not to stay in neutral between 4th and 5th when you shift. Hope this helps.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:21 PM

Car Info: 2004 Impreza WRX
Originally posted by turborambler
Hello all,

3) Is the steering wheel different for the 04's? Feels like it turns a lot quicker.

04's have speed proportional power assisted steering .. or it truns more when going slow than when your going fast.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:22 PM

Car Info: 2002 MBP saloon
Originally posted by turborambler
Hello all,

1) Going from first to second is kind of tough to do smoothly. The only way I can do this without bucking is to let the clutch out slow. Slower than going from say 2 to 3rd. Is this bad? Is this slipping the clutch? The car has only 100 miles on it so I realize the clutch might grab hard.

I've got an '02, my buddy just got an '04. From driving both, I can say the clutch on the '02's are just plain smoother.

on the '04, 1st--->2nd is jerky no matter what. You can try all you want to make it smoother, but it's just how it's built. It's also much lighter than the '02 and feels somewhat "VWesque" I prefer a stifffer clutch so I am biased, but........

I wouldn't trade my '02 clutch for an '04 anyday.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:07 PM

Car Info: GDA
i've had the car for about 2 years and the one important thing i learned about getting into gear smoothly is that you have to pause in b/t gears. for example, from 1st to 2nd, you clutch in, shift out of 1st, pause while it's b/t gears, and then slowly shift into 2nd. if you go out of and into gears fast, the shift action is rough, even though the rpm's will match up nicely.

slow shifting, in my case, just feels better.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '99 Impreza OBS
I don't own a wrx, i own a '99 OBS, but I've driven the wrx, and you can get it to shift smooth w/o letting it out very slow, its all about rev matching. 1-2 is hella harder because you can feel it, you probably are messing up with the rest but the gear ratio change is low enough that you won't feel it. 1-2 is hella harder because you can feel the little changes because a. your going slower, so the speed change is more, and b. because the gear ratios. You just get the revs perfect and itl be smooth. Hope that helped gl
Old 04-28-2004, 02:13 PM

Car Info: WRBlue 2k5 Subaru WRX STi
Originally posted by doughboy
i've had the car for about 2 years and the one important thing i learned about getting into gear smoothly is that you have to pause in b/t gears. for example, from 1st to 2nd, you clutch in, shift out of 1st, pause while it's b/t gears, and then slowly shift into 2nd. if you go out of and into gears fast, the shift action is rough, even though the rpm's will match up nicely.

slow shifting, in my case, just feels better.
I think they call that granny shifting.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 CGM WRX Wagon
During normal driving I'll ease off the gas a bit before I shift. That seems to make a big difference in the smoothness - then it doesn't jerk when putting in the clutch. It'll take some practice to figure out how much to let off, but it helps a bunch.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:35 PM

Car Info: GDA
Originally posted by JUNNEL20
I think they call that granny shifting.
hahaha...thanks for pointing that out. try jamming it into 2nd right out of 1st and see how long the syncros last.

for that matter, i do granny shift when i'm tooling around town.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:28 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX (Silver Sedan)
A lightened flywheel could really help your rev matching.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:49 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black WRX wagon
when i'm draggin, i shift @ 6K. haha....

i used to speed shift. now, i make sure that my clutch is fully off before i shift. it feels slower, but i guess it works. i like my old style of shifting better. it was really fast and smooth. Taking your time is much safer though
Old 05-12-2004, 03:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
My 02 wrx gearbox makes a distinct CLICK sound when shifted between fourth and fifth gear and doesn't do it for any other gear.
Rev matching is the only way I drove now but I wouldn't recommend it until one gets a feel for how to "normally" engage the gears.
Using the gearbox to slow you down is going to wear out the clutch and possibly gearbox quickly, I would recommend using the brakes to stop as they are much cheaper to maintain and replace than the clutch and transmission.

Quick Reply: Shifting a 2004 WRX