Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Shifting a 2004 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 07:24 PM

Cool Shifting a 2004 WRX

Hello all,

Yesterday I bought a 5 spd 2004 WRX. I had a 2002 auto and after learning on a Honda CRX I have for 3 months I thought now was the time. I have some general questions about shifting in this car:

1) Going from first to second is kind of tough to do smoothly. The only way I can do this without bucking is to let the clutch out slow. Slower than going from say 2 to 3rd. Is this bad? Is this slipping the clutch? The car has only 100 miles on it so I realize the clutch might grab hard.

2) What is the best shifting technique in this car? I'm not really worried about tearing it up right now, I just want to be smooth...time is probably needed.

3) Is the steering wheel different for the 04's? Feels like it turns a lot quicker.

4) What is rev matching? Do you need to shift fast to not "buck"? I look forward to the input from this group. I really like the car and it is so much better than the auto I can't believe it.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
I've been driving an 02 wrx for over a year, here's what I can tell you.
The clutch can easily burn...so shift slowly and smoothly until you learn when the clutch engages and at what RPM/speed. Over time you'll get a feel for how much power the car needs to go, don't worry about rev matching until you've been driving it for a while.
Best shifting technique is to go slowly. It's probably safe to shift around 2500-3500RPM and it's pretty easy to engage the clutch at that speed and keep things smooth for your passengers.
When I first got the car, first few months I didn't realize I was burning the clutch as I thought I was going really slow and precise. But over time you learn what sloooow is...and then you can get faster. I can shift the car really fast now and feel confident with it, but this is only after months of practice. Never drove an AWD car before and it takes so much getting used to, but once you get good at it, you dont have to think about it.
Good luck! and i have no idea about the steering wheel.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:02 PM

Thanks for the input. When I drive the WRX now it seems like I think the clutch is all the way out and then let it out a bit more...sometimes jerking a bit if its from a stop. This all takes place in seconds, but it seems to catch a lot higher than the Honda clutch. From first to second I have to let it out slow....otherwise it jerks. From 2nd to 3rd and 3rd 4th....faster I'm going and the more RPMs I have the smoother I shift. Down shifting I can feel the point of where you want to match revs...and I'm almost at the point of doing that consistently. I think I'm real critical....since 3 months I couldn't drive manual at all. I do have high expectations. I have a boost gauge and was happy to see in a decent 3rd gear pull I was close to .1. Least things are working at 300 miles. Now I just need to decide when to put the P1s and toyos on that I have in the basement.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:20 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 wrx
the clutch and trans will break in with a few more miles. It took me some getting used to on my 04 also. But now im at 8k and everything is peachy:banana:
Old 04-05-2004, 05:49 AM

Car Info: 2002 Alpine White WRX
Yes you do need to rev match for a smooth shift, but when upshifting by shifting quickly enough so the RPM drop just right amount it's not hard after you get used to it. On downshifting you might want to put the car in neutral and release the clutch, then rev and push the clutch in, the put into gear, this is also known as double clutching and I don't use it for anything but smooothness also you can feel it go into gear much eassier.
Hope that helps.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:26 AM

Car Info: WRBlue 2k5 Subaru WRX STi
Originally posted by FDTT
You dont need to double clutch, just stick the clutch in and give it a quick tap on the throttle and then shift let the clutch out. Should come out VERY smooth. Like you havent even downshifted.
I agree. I used to double clutch myself, until I learned to just step on the clutch, shift to neutral, rev match, shift to lower gear, then let the clutch out.

Works best especially when cornering!
Old 04-05-2004, 11:10 AM

Car Info: 2002 Alpine White WRX
I agree about not double clutching on downshifts, except I have to do it almost always to get into first when rolling above 5 mph.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by Gleb83
I agree about not double clutching on downshifts, except I have to do it almost always to get into first when rolling above 5 mph.
I have never successfully downshifted to 1st. I tried once!
I don't think I'm gonna try again!
Old 04-05-2004, 09:34 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black WRX wagon
eww. dwnshifting into first feels horrible. It just doesn't wanna go there. lol.

I can get through all my gears pretty well, except 1st to 2nd. OMG IT'S HORRIBLE!!! is there something different about those gears? peice of poo. Sometimes it catches on, sometimes it doesn't. I say buy a clutch stop. that's what i'm going to do. lol.

my clutch burns everytime i launch. i don't drop the clutch, i slip it. is that bad?... i know launching is bad, but is it worse than dumping it?

i'm @ 7K right now, perhaps we need to break our cars in some more.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:41 PM

I think the only way to launch our AWD is to slip the clutch. Even so, you wear out the clutch either way.

But I think there's a way to minimize the clutch burn when you slip it. You just gotta time it right... as soon as the clutch catches, let go and floor it!!!
Old 04-05-2004, 11:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05' Evo 8
rev matching and double cluthing....all i gotta say is practice...i can downshift from 4500 rpm and no one notices...its like i got a automatic....just takes practice......
Old 04-08-2004, 07:05 AM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
Originally posted by qwk_wrx
rev matching and double cluthing....all i gotta say is practice...i can downshift from 4500 rpm and no one notices...its like i got a automatic....just takes practice......
i must say that its a blast practicing!! is there a way to adjust the response feel of the gas pedal?(sorry if its been answered. . . lazy 2 search)

Quick Reply: Shifting a 2004 WRX