Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Rear Dif. Lube

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 11:20 AM

Car Info: 02' Black Wgn
Rear Dif. Lube

What gear lube do you use in the rear dif. on a 02 wrx? As far as fill level goes, do I just fill it to the bottom of the filler hole? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2004, 01:14 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
I'm using redline 75-90, and yes, just fill to the top of the fill tube with the car sitting level. I bought a pump that goes in the oil bottle to make the job a lot easier.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:51 PM

"FIll Tube"...........When I am under the car looking at the rear end there are two plugs that have square sockets (1/4 in drive fits) one of the plugs is about 2" above the other offset to the passenger side. Is that the filler hole?

Thanks
Old 09-08-2004, 02:00 PM

Uh, yeah. fill tube was probably the wrong terminology! lol
two bolts, half inch drive. Remove the top (fill) bolt first, then remove the bottom (drain) bolt second. That way, if you can't get the top one off, you still have lubricant in the differential.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:08 PM

thanks for the help my friend.......

Keep on spooling.....

Josh
Old 09-08-2004, 03:20 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by BlingBlingBlue
two bolts, half inch drive. Remove the top (fill) bolt first, then remove the bottom (drain) bolt second. That way, if you can't get the top one off, you still have lubricant in the differential.
That's all well and good, but the 1/2" drive is just a teeeny bit too small to fit nicely. I was unable to remove either bolt, probably due to my desire NOT to f-up the bolts completely by spinning the 1/2" drive inside the bolt.

Any suggestions? Impact gun? And did you use "three-bond" gasket material before re-installing as the manual says?
Old 09-09-2004, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Got Groceries?
That's all well and good, but the 1/2" drive is just a teeeny bit too small to fit nicely. I was unable to remove either bolt, probably due to my desire NOT to f-up the bolts completely by spinning the 1/2" drive inside the bolt.

Any suggestions? Impact gun? And did you use "three-bond" gasket material before re-installing as the manual says?
Interesting point, I have also noticed that 1/2" is just a wee bit small. The first time I removed the bolts, they were tight, but I got them off without too much trouble. The second time, I deformed the bolts and wound up ordering new ones. I paid the dealership $40 to do the job and I watched them. They used a 1/2" drive as well...they were able to remove them with a breaker bar up on a lift. I probably would have got the suckers off if the car was on a lift, it's a little harder when on the floor. Go figure...
IIRC, the replacement bolts were less than $20 from the dealer.

And no, the dealer did not put the bonding compound on the replacement bolts. I check them periodically, and they are not leaking and are still quite snug.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:04 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX wagon
Thanks BlingBlingBlue, good info. I guess I'll just roll it up on ramps in the back to get enough leverage and break it loose then.

Do you think some PB Blaster would help, or no?