Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Question in Changing Tranny oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 11:25 PM

Car Info: Subaru impreza WRX aspen-white
Exclamation Question in Changing Tranny oil

Just bought some redline 75-90 tranny oil ( 5quarts-is this enough?) the person who helped me out at winchester auto couldn't tell me how many quarts exactly so i figured i'd buy 5 for some reason. anyway i was looking under the car to try to find the fill and drain plugs for both the tranny and the tranfer case. ... ? I'm wondering now where they are located? and i'm wondering how many quarts i need to put? and for the sake of asking (just in case) what tools would i be needing for this project? this is the first time to change the tranny oil (duh) have done it on a VR-4 so i have some idea as to how to do this, but would be glad to get some input. thanks much guys

-andy

P.S. if someone has Detailed instructions or knows where to find it, that would be awesome!
Old 07-17-2004, 08:55 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
ok ill try to answer as many questions as possible

the drain plug is at the very bottom of the transmission and is opened by...i think a 3-16 socket wrench but i think that is wrong it's more like a 19mm. the plug is close to the middle of the transmission. take out the plug, drain the oil which is real stinky for a while, put the drain plug in with a new washer. now the fun part is filling up the tranny with new oil. definitely get some kind of funnel extension, as the filler is behind the engine and underneath the intercooler on the wrx. it has a big metal handle. the filling capacity is 3.5 to 3.7 qts. when i last did a trans fluid change on my wrx, i filled to 3.7 qt and later put more in as it felt like there was not enough. i would say put 3.7qt in and drive it afterwards, then add more if you feel it is necessary. i used the cheapeast oil possible, pennzoil i believe from kragen auto parts and it works ok but it somehow doesn't feel thick enough for the gearbox. the front differential is connected to and shares gear oil with the transmission so you don't need to do anything for it. the rear differential will probably have to have its fluid changed also when you do the transmission, and that requires a square socket wrench without an attachment on it, but that one was super difficult to get off on my vehicle and i brought it to a garage for that. you take both of the bolts off that you can see visually from the rear of the car, and fill up until fluid starts to leak out the bottom bolt hole.

did i answer everything?
if you want a diagram, check on the internet for the wrx service manual, i know there are "pirated" versions out there. i bought one off ebay, it's worth it!!
good luck
Old 07-17-2004, 10:00 AM

Car Info: 2002 White WRX Wagon (WWW)
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1743

For future reference, always do a search on scoobymods first for service/install instructions. Wonderful site...