Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

problems w/ kartboy short throw shifter install

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 07:53 AM

Car Info: 2010 370z Roadster, 2008 Frontier CrewCab
I put mine on by taking a small piece of 2x4 and placing it on top of the shifter. After hammering 2 times the shifter popped into place. The shifter threads were not damage; the 2x4 absorbed the blows.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:04 AM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
Old 09-18-2003, 07:36 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX
My problem isn't with the hammering...instead...I followed the instructions on Scoobymods.com. The problem is that I either got ripped off or...I got ripped off. I got my shifter off of Ebay.

A part of the instruction said to "Now that the shifter is out you will have to remove the small bushing (2 rubber parts and one metal cylinder) and put it in the KB shifter"

I did that but when I put em in the KB shifter I got, when I put the two rubber parts and the cylinder, about half an inch of the metal cylinder sticks out. When I would move the shifter, the metal pole would slide with the bushings. Thinking it was normal, I put it all together and it all works beautifully. But I still can't help feeling there is something wrong with it. Maybe the seller on Ebay sold it as a WRX KB short shifter when it was maybe a 2.5 or a different model KB short shifter. Dunno...Any suggestions? Is it normal? Can you guys understand me? lol
Old 09-19-2003, 06:23 AM

There is a difference between a few KB shifters. The only diff that I know of is the width of the barrel's pivot point. Meaning the part the metal cylinder and two (usually dark blue) bushings go. I think the WRX ones are a little wider than the older RS ones. Or to describe it another way on the end of the rod you put the bolt through into the shifter is a U shaped fork. The width of the fork is different between I think 01 and 02 on.

The Short answer is you got the wrong shifter for that year now you have side to side slop. To rube goldburg it I suppose you could put a bunch of washers evenly on each side if you can find ones w/ a hole big enough to fit over the metal cylinder.

It would be better though to have the right one obviously.

Peaty

FWIW- I've installed a few dozen KB shifters now for local guys. The very first time I did one it took me quite a few wacks to get the darn thing in. Now if it takes more than one or two good ones that's a lot. From what I've learned it's 25% having the shifter in just the right position and 75% hitting it hard and heavy enough (with something that won't damage the threads) I think not knowing how hard it really needs to be hit is the problem. Most people are afraid they will snap something and don't hit it hard enough.

Last edited by Peaty; 09-19-2003 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:36 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX
Dammit...the Ebay auction specifically said 03 WRX...Actually the shifter feels pretty damn good still. You think I could keep it that way Peaty?
Old 09-19-2003, 10:51 AM

maybe, make sure that the metal cylinder inside the blue bushings is the thing the side forks are pressing against and not the washers. If you overtighten it with too many washers, it will bind when shifting. It will be tricky to strike a balance between too loose and too tight. I hope I'm describing it well enough.