Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Problems with reverse? Solved with my car......

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 08:21 PM

Problems with reverse? Solved with my car......

Its fresh, 1400 miles now.

I've had recalcitrant reversers before, namely my 1967 Camaro (Muncie/Hurst 4 spd.), and especially my 1988 police issue Mustang 5.0, that f**king piece of s**t. Sorry.

For this WRX, it was a ***** to get reverse right out of the lot. I expected and subsequently got this characteristic. I then tried all my prievious tricks:

1. Clutch in, into second, then gently into reverse. Crunch.
2. Gently straight into reverse, no matter what scenario. Crunch.
3. SUPER gently into reverse, no matter what scenario. Crunch.
4. Very gently feather clutch while gently slipping into reverse (works great on big V-8s). Crunch.
5. Let out clutch in neutral, push clutch back in and gently select reverse. Better, but crunch.
6. Clutch in, select 5th, then gently select reverse. Crunch.

Dammit!

That's the bag of tricks, and I was out of ideas. Lucky for me and my transmission, I came up with the solution for my particular car:

7. Clutch in, then release clutch 1/3-1/2 travel, push clutch back in, and quickly but very gently select reverse.
Butter.
20+ times in a row now.
Its so consistantly good that I'm going out to the garage to do it right now for further empirical evidence.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:28 PM

Yep, there it is. Much less notchy than just putting it in there. Without that 1/2 of the clutch travel, you can really feel the teeth engaging (which makes me wince every time). With that 1/2 of the clutch travel, its far more relaxed and less worrysome. Try it everyone, and especially try it right after forward motion, instead of doing a bunch of reverses in a row. To be honest, it doesn't make any damn sense, it should act this way with full clutch engagement in neutral.......but it doesn't. Hmmm......
-M