Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

PowerShifting?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 11:33 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Re: tranny$$???

Originally posted by berkasal
how much do trannys cost??
Directly proportional to how good you want it. Speed costs money. How fast to do want to go?

Educational and informative, no?
Old 12-15-2002, 11:36 PM

Oh yeah. When I got my RS, I decided that since it was the foundation for a rally car, I could basically treat it like one. I routinely would either powershift (or if I was feeling lucky, punk, I'd synchro-shift at redline or thereabouts). The car actually responded well to it, but I'm sure that I'll be very lucky to get to 50k (at 30k now, with those antics 15k behind me) without any problems. I'm actually about to start a new thread, because I'm curious about the potential medicinal effects of a lightened flywheel on said gearbox.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:53 AM

Car Info: black 2003 WRX
Re: Re: tranny$$???

Originally posted by BAN SUVS
Directly proportional to how good you want it. Speed costs money. How fast to do want to go?

Educational and informative, no?

just a stock one or sothing a little better than stock?
Old 12-16-2002, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by FatJoe
Yeah, I also have another question...Whats the deal with the fact that I can shift without the clutch going up the gears. For instance, I can be in 2nd and be slowly going up the powerband, and shift at 4000rpm and how I can do it is apply a slight amout of pressure to the shift lever pushing forwards, then as I sharply take my foot off of the gas, the lever will slide out of 2nd. As my rpms are then falling (becasue i had taken my foot off of the gas and am now in neutral) I push the lever into third gear, but don't push the clutch. As my rpms fall, the lever magically slides into gear, no grinding, no bad noises, but the lever just catches and slips in as I apply a little bit of pressure into the area where thrird gear is. What is this? Why is it happeneing? and is it bad? Thanks. (hope someone responds before Iblow up my tranny)

~Joe
No, believe it or not, it is the BEST way to shift. When you are upshifting so smooth you can't feel any jerking at all, there aren't any harsh forces smashing your tranny parts together. The 'magic' is what you already said- the falling revs as you upshift allow the synchros to come together at almost the same speed, which means that they are able to do their job in almost an instant, which is much faster than you can actually shift. The reverse of this is why you can't hardly downshift into 1st- the revs for 20 mph in first are WAY higher than the revs for 20 mph in second, so you have to rev way up to do it- but you won't usually get it right, which is what makes the car lurch or buck so hard when you do it. Anyways, keep up the good work. as long as you are (relatively) gentle with the clutch, you are well on your way to a long, hapy life together with your tranny.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: tranny$$???

Originally posted by berkasal
just a stock one or sothing a little better than stock?
Ummmm... I don't know. For a used gearbox call RCSR in Rancho Cordova or go to their website, http://www.4subarusuzukikiaparts.com/ and ask.