Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

One more thread on tranny fluid - this one different.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 06:34 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX - Sedona Red
One more thread on tranny fluid - this one different.....

Ok all - so I'm sure everyone is sick of reading threads on tranny fluids. I know I sure am as I have been researching this topic over the last few days. But I have to ask this questions:
So I have 72K miles on my 2002 WRX and it's time to change the tranny oil. For some reason (and don't hate me for this), I have managed to never change it since I bought the car new in '02. I've changed every other fluid in the car, but have managed to forget to do the tranny. Crap.

Anyway, I'm looking to create a custom cocktail based off of all the info I've read on this forum and other alike. I think I've come up with something good, but wanted everyone's opinion. Manly, I'm looking for any information on why I SHOULDN'T use this. Any any other opinions would be great too. I want to go 100% synthetic.

1 QT Amsoil Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Fluid (SAE 5W-30)
1 QT Redline Lightweight Gear Oil (Synthetic - 75W80 GL-5 equivalent)
~2 QT Amsoil Synthetic Manual Transmission / Transaxle Gear Lube (75W-90 GL-4)

What are you thoughts on that mix? Two questions to think aboug:

1) Should I substitute the Redline Lightweight Gear Oil for their 75W90 NS Synthetic?

2) Should I subsitute something for the Redline ShockProof Oil (Superlight or Lightweight)?

Thanks again for everyone's help. Hope I'm not beating a dead horse on this issue, but there are so many threads that it's hard to get a good answer.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:47 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX - Sedona Red
I know nobody wants to reply since there are a million different threads on this subject, but I really want to know everyone's thought on the matter.

To simplify, I want to go 100% synthetic and it's my understanding that the Redline ShockProof oil is conventional (not synthetic). Is that true? If it is, that is why I want to substitute that for the Amsoil oil.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:24 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX
is your car on conventional tranny fluid right now? do you know if you switch to a synthetic, you may leak a little? synthetic oils are normally 'thinner' or have more 'fluidity'? from what ive heard, the redline shockproof oil is ment for transmissions without syncros. ie: straight cut gears. i think if any thing, make a blend of the amsoil synchromesh fluid and a conventional fluid.