Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

New Clutch Replacement (TSB) Reactions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 12:44 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Happy with mine. I miss the stiffer pedal, but I'm in a minority there. I still notice shudder very occasionally, but not often at all. It's much smoother on uptake than before. I'm pleased with it.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:35 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
definitely glad i did it. smoother uptake, hasn't shuddered once since, and the car has much better around town driveability.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:45 PM

i just got mine back like 15 minutes ago. i think its sooo much better than before, engagement wise... but as far as the soft pedal, its kinda strange. i gotta get used to it. but the shudder is completely gone. my strange grinding sound in neutral is now gone, and overalll i guess i wish i had done it sooner.

hey, does anyone know if they replace the TOB in the tsb?
and did they make you sign waiver that said they fixed it under goodwill policy, and said they will not fix it if anything else happens to it while still under warranty?
Old 08-03-2003, 07:14 PM

im scared to drive really hard since ive got it replaced. has anyone tried racing with the new clutch yet? do you think these can handle a lot more abuse than stock?

... also heavier flywheel? i did not know of this. does anyone know what kind of clutch disk and flywheel they used for the tsb? ive read somewhere that they put in the sti spec, but i could be lunchin.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:46 AM

Car Info: 02 WRB WRX
Can anyone tell me if the TSB discusses here is a more agressive or less aggressive clutch than the stock WRX clutch?

My dealer just documented my clutch shudder this AM. I'm in Canada and our TSB on this issue only covers the 2.5L cars. My service guy said I have three options:
1. Get the stock clutch replaced
2. Get the upgraded clutch as per the USA TSB
3. Put in an aftermarket (I pay for it)

I am trying to debate as to whether I get the stock clutch replaced, which is supposed to be an aggressive clutch. Or, get the USA TSB recommended clutch. I have considered going aftermarket but the funds can't support it at the moment. I am considering throwing in a short-throw though.

Thing is, the Master Tech at my dealer tells me that the 2.5L clutch replacement is a less aggressive clutch to make engagement smoother but as a result, you lose some off-the-line performance and clutch life is shorter. Does anyone know if this is also true for the 2.0L Turbo clutch upgrade? If it is, I may just get the stock clutch replaced with the same unit. Has anyone actually seen the two clutches side-by-side for a good comparison?

Thanks, JC