Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Need mo'better tranny STI 5 speed or 6 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 10:57 PM

Car Info: 2.5RS STI swapped
Need mo'better tranny STI 5 speed or 6 Speed

I tried posting this on ****-oc but just got hassled on every post saying there is no inherant flaw in the tranny I just don't know how to drive.... appearantly.

So I will now preface this question with hypothetical cirumstances:

Lets say it wasn't that I hated my tranny's first gear engaugement, but rather I just don't have a tranny right now. And I have good shifting technique.

So I would like to buy a new tranny that will hold maybe 400chp and dont want to futz with tranny fuild mixtures ever again. I would prefer to put in an STI 5 Speed R or RA gearbox but wonder if it's just going to be more of the same. I have a MY01 RS tranny that is great except that engaugement is less than, how you say?, smooth. First gear is a constant battle and reverse is not to far behind. I know the STI 6 speed is a great box but don't want to spend more than I really NEED to.

From what I've read the RS tranny lack dual syncro's on first and reverse which is the cause of the poor engaugement. I hear this also plagues USDM WRX trannies as well up until recently maybe. I know Rallispec has a dual cone 1st gearset but would prefer something in a whole "package".

Do any of the JDM STI tranny's offer what I'm looking for? (reliable first gear engaugement) And also more reliablity with higher horse power engines?

cheers

garrett
Old 11-14-2005, 10:12 PM

Car Info: 2.5RS STI swapped
No one?

cheers

garrett
Old 11-14-2005, 10:48 PM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
If you were to go with the v. 6 STi type RA gears you'd be maxing them out at 400 crank horsepower. If you truly want reliability, go with the STi 6 speed. Almost guaranteed to work reliably (unless you abuse it or run waay too much power through it). The RA gears are cheaper than the 6 speed new, but I've heard of some killer deals on the used 6 speeds. I don't think the 6 speeds have issues with grinds, but I'm not positive. I'm running with the RA gears and I can tell you that the gear grinding has not gone away, in first and reverse. I believe the 06 WRX comes with dual cone synchros, so you could look into that trans as a replacement, but the trans itself is not any stronger than the previous 5 speeds, as far as I know.

Oh, and I learned the hard way on tranny oils, too. That aided in blowing my last trans. Fully synthetic=busted trans.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:25 PM

Car Info: lowered blk04 with no motor
get the 6speed. i got the ra, i wish i had got the six
Old 11-27-2005, 02:35 PM
VIP Member

theres a huge difference between ra 5speed and sti 6 speed. and a huge difference in price. 6 speed is by far the better tranny and you can also get dccd with the differential. ra 5 speed is shorter gearing so most people use the usdm wrx 5th gear to help out with gas milage.
gruppes sells the ra gearset with everything and cryo treats the gears if you cant afford the 6sp
Old 12-07-2005, 09:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: none
Originally Posted by slvrsubywgn
If you were to go with the v. 6 STi type RA gears you'd be maxing them out at 400 crank horsepower. If you truly want reliability, go with the STi 6 speed. Almost guaranteed to work reliably (unless you abuse it or run waay too much power through it). The RA gears are cheaper than the 6 speed new, but I've heard of some killer deals on the used 6 speeds. I don't think the 6 speeds have issues with grinds, but I'm not positive. I'm running with the RA gears and I can tell you that the gear grinding has not gone away, in first and reverse. I believe the 06 WRX comes with dual cone synchros, so you could look into that trans as a replacement, but the trans itself is not any stronger than the previous 5 speeds, as far as I know.

Oh, and I learned the hard way on tranny oils, too. That aided in blowing my last trans. Fully synthetic=busted trans.
what clutch/flywheel combo did you get with the RA gears?

and how's it working for you?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:00 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by de pilipino guy
what clutch/flywheel combo did you get with the RA gears?

and how's it working for you?
I have the standard edition RA gears (it changes out 4th and 5th gear also, unlike the special edition) with an ACT Streetlite flywheel (13.9lbs) and Exedy organic sport clutch. And no, I have never gotten a CEL for a mis-fire. That usually only happens when you combine a lightened fly and a lightened crank pulley or too light of a flywheel (usually 12lbs or less).

All in all it's been a great setup so far. It cost me about $4000 installed for everything. If you have the money go with the 6 speed. That thing is bulletproof. Although I have only heard of 1 set of the RA gears breaking.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: none
hey thanks alot....hhmmm i might just get same clutch/flywheel as you then...i've been doing alot of searching on RA gears and your SN came up every time...so i trust your word...peace...btw how much did the clutch cost you?

Last edited by de pilipino guy; 12-07-2005 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:54 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by de pilipino guy
hey thanks alot....hhmmm i might just get same clutch/flywheel as you then...i've been doing alot of searching on RA gears and your SN came up every time...so i trust your word...peace...btw how much did the clutch cost you?
Here's what I payed for everything, broken down, straight from my receipts-
RA gears-1150
Cryo treatment-100
Speedo gear-25
Subaru bearing kit-225
Subaru synchro set-225
Transmission rebuild-400
Install for tranny-430

Rebuilt stock front differential-550
Exedy sport clutch-450
ACT Streetlite flywheel-200

Plus about 250 in tax.