Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

The mystery DCCD switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 11:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '94 WRX, '97 Forester S/Tb, '95 WRX-RA
Question The mystery DCCD switch

I just bought a '98 STI Coupe here in JP. When I was test drving it, I noticed that there was a small thumbwheel in the center console that said C-DIFF above it. Now, this is going to be my 3rd WRX (first STI) I have owned in the past 3 years, and my other 2 don't have this. I have read about the DCCD on other forums, and how its has people hyping over it, but I never read too in depth because I didnt have one at the time. The wheel goes from what looks like a low to high setting, depending on how much you advance the wheel. Exactly how will the low and high settings affect the drive and the feel of the tranny?
Old 12-23-2004, 08:55 AM

ok i'm no expert but from what i understand of the DCCD in simple term is that it can allow u to manually control the torque split of the car, in that u can change where most of the power is coming from so u can make the car act like a rear wheel drive car by sending most of the power to the rear wheels or even it up a bit by splitting it more evenly between front and rear wheels. it therefore alllows u to optimise the car to ur driving style and the situation ur in while driving. dont know if this helps but thats what i can tell u

another good forum is scoobnet...u could try posting in the drivetrain section if u want more opinions. by the way how is the car performing is a type R STi o r22B? all the best with it
Old 12-23-2004, 09:16 AM
VIP Member

That sounds about right. I have been messing around with it at different settings the past couple days. If I make a turn when its full locked, the tires on the outside of the turn scrape along as if theyre trying to fight against the diff. If I launch it when its full locked, I end up having to reorganize up my CD collection that just got smashed up against the rear window. About a quarter turn from the lowest setting has been feeling pretty good for daily driving. It's a type R, and its runs great. It's big step up from my other WRXs, and this thing is still completely stock. I just can't wait until I swap all of the parts over. I began gutting the interior today, starting what will be a 3 month project. I'll probably post pics when its finished this spring. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-28-2004, 01:33 PM

no problem jus enjoy that great machine.... are u going to be rallying it? whats the stock boost ur running now? looking forward to the pics.....
Old 12-28-2004, 01:37 PM

i made a mistake in my 1st post the web site in scoobynet
Old 12-28-2004, 02:36 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
do you just have the dial and no switch ?

I am unfamiliar with the DCCD controls on pre USDM STIs
Old 12-28-2004, 02:39 PM
VIP Member

I will be taking it to the track a few times this coming year, but not really anything that will tear it up. Just a few laps every now and then, so I can "enjoy the machine", as you said. It looks like the stock boost is at 1.2-1.3 bar (17-18psi). I don't consider this to be %100 correct because my only way of measuring is through a sh*tty little boost gauge (serious, this thing is smaller than a silver dollar) that somebody put on the steering column. When I open this baby up, there is no way in hell I can look down and close enough to get a good reading with the way this thing pushes you back in the seat and makes you go crosseyed for a moment. No B.S. I ordered a triple gauge pod from Defi yesterday, (the direct replacement for the clock) so I don't have to drill holes in my A pillar. When I get that thing in after the new year and my Defi gauges reinstalled, ill let the control unit take a peak boost reading for me, and I can get back to you with more accurate numbers.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:49 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Scott@S-S
do you just have the dial and no switch ?

I am unfamiliar with the DCCD controls on pre USDM STIs
There is the thumbwheel next to the e-brake handle, and a "column" style indicator next to the temp and fuel gauges that goes from green at the bottom and then orange to red the more you advance the wheel, until it reads LOCK at the top of the column. I would be out messing around in the street, getting used to the function of the DCCD, but the real snow started 3 days ago, and I'm still on summer tires. Looks like Im grounded until I can pony up the thousand bucks for new winters. Now, where did I put that Mastercard?.....
Old 12-29-2004, 06:02 PM

have u had a chance to see any pics of new version 9 STi.....i guess u would a higher chance being in Japan...i've seen something but i really hope its not it.....
Old 12-29-2004, 09:40 PM
VIP Member

I haven't seen anything about the v9 yet. I will be going to the Tokyo auto salon this coming year, and you know I'll be looking for anything Suby. Any good pics I take will be posted.