Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

My Protorque TC is finally IN~!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 06:55 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
My Protorque TC is finally IN~!

i finally decided to get my TC mod done. I had gotten all the parts ready, High-stall TC from Protorque, Synthetic ATF, and ofcourse a tranny cooler. And now that its finally spring break for me i'm taking in my car tomorrow to get it done.

i hope this changes the whole experience i have with the car. I currently have a Bosal DWN pipe. Helix Up pipe, and a V7 muffler. After this TC mod how much faster will i be???? i know TC doesnt make more HP or TQ, it just applies it better and efficiently putting more power to the wheels.....

right now from my friends fast reacting finger and his stop watch....

0-60 from a dead stop is 9.~~ sec

0-60 w/ launch is 7.~~ sec

i dont have 1/4.....no time for tracks.....

i got my car around 9 PM yesterday and was having too much fun with it so i couldnt post anything.

All i have to say is that im am scared to drive my car now. i launched @ 4700 rpm (it took less than 2 sec) and i had to hang on to the wheel like my life depended on it. The car was running very strong and very smooth.
Well there is lot more noise now, u can hear the engine way better and every thing is more pronounced now.

and the times that i got (again with my friends stop watch)

0-60 dead stop ~ less that 5.5 sec

0-60 with a 4700rpm launch less that 5 secs.

again these are just estimate times, but im sure with a real timing it should only be off by .001 of a sec.

any questions i'll be glad to answer the best way i can~
Old 05-04-2004, 08:08 PM

Car Info: WRX
hey

thank you for sharing your experience, it sounds nice^^

i just have a short question regarding where to install the Protorque TC??

do i have to have it install by their authorized dealers??
or i can just purchase the TC and have it install by any of my local transmission shops???

thank you very much for your info, looking forward to your response!!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Aspen White Subaru STI
So is the Protorque mod really worth it?? I have a 4eat and am trying to decide whether or not to go for it. I have about the same set up as you do minus the protorque mod. If you can tell me more about what it changes for your car that would be great, also does it make for more lag?
Old 05-06-2004, 07:55 PM

Cool Hell Ya its definatly worth it~! =)

Originally Posted by SuzWRX
So is the Protorque mod really worth it?? I have a 4eat and am trying to decide whether or not to go for it. I have about the same set up as you do minus the protorque mod. If you can tell me more about what it changes for your car that would be great, also does it make for more lag?
i think the #1 mod for the A/T wrx should be this mod. U can definatly notice a HUGE difference afterwards....when i installed my up/down pipes its was ok...minor changes that were hardly notciable but when i installed the TC...i was like OMG~!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this cant be the same car....
just imagine all the lag that has disappeared, ur car rev very quickly to the power band 0 to 3000 rpm in a blink of an eye~!!!! nothing will give u see noticeable performance gain (except maybe a reflash) than this mod. I know the TC doesnt give you more HP but it jsut applies wat u have already better to the wheels, something which definatly lacks on the stock TC. Now is more like Lag...??? what is lag? haha hope this helped....email me if u have more questions....
Old 05-06-2004, 10:16 PM
VIP Member

Cool thanks for the info! I am definately going to look into getting this mod for mine.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by SuzWRX
Cool thanks for the info! I am definately going to look into getting this mod for mine.
lets get a group buy on it.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:58 PM
VIP Member

Lets do it!
Old 05-07-2004, 01:04 PM

mpj was able to get it for 900 something installed right? lets see if we can lower it to 800.
hahaha
Old 05-07-2004, 04:10 PM
VIP Member

yea you should give them a call and tell them that two of us want to get our TC's modified and ask them what kind of deal they could give us.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:50 PM

ill give mpj a call when i get enough money. i hope theyll do 800 for a group rate.

does the upgrade affect mileage after those first few months of having fun with it?
Old 05-12-2004, 08:04 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX SILVER WAGON
ProTorque upgrade

I have sent them a couple of e-mails asking if they do a core exchange, of if you have to send them yours for a re-build. I got no reply.
It seems silly to have to buy another one, then try to sell the spare, after the re-build.
I would think that a tranny oil cooler would be a must, as part of this conversion,
and probably going to synthetic oil also, especially if you plan to do a lot of engine breaking, by down shifting.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:22 AM

Protorque answers fast

i email them and they get back to me within 24hrs.....well anyways i dont believe they have a core charge program...although u dont have to buy a new and send it for re-build u can just send ur current one had send that to have it rebuild, it will just have more down time. I purchased mine (used) and had it sent and i had zero downtime =)
Old 05-12-2004, 12:21 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX SILVER WAGON
Pro Torque

Their web is a little misleading, in the sense that they have a part# for the WRX
at $495.00 and they don't mention shipping your TC to them for an upgrade.
Isn't there also a solenoid or something that needs to be replaced?
I would like to do this in conjuction with a VF35 turbo, STI injectors, & fuel pump.
It should be awsome if it works with the Accessport stg.2.5!
Old 05-13-2004, 10:42 PM

ProTorque and N/A

I have asked about this mod in the N/A forum at the Nabisco site and all I hear is crickets. One guy answered somewhat in PM.

Would this mod be beneficial to someone with an N/A Subaru and aftermarket cams? Aftermarket cams that I have took away the torque on the bottom end and I thought you needed more torque to get a better/higher stall speed (even a flash stall). Just asking! Oh..I have an XT6. Thanks!