Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Max speed in each gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 11:47 AM

Car Info: WR Blue WRX
Max speed in each gear

What are the max speeds in each gear @7000 with the stock tires.

I have gone through and done calculations on what the speeds should be but I am off by a few mph in each gear.

I have an 03 WRX w/5MT

-skooter
Old 01-24-2004, 11:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
1st = 38
2nd = 71
3rd = 112 . . . . Thats what the manual says, I have expierienced

1st = 35
2nd = 68
3rd = 98 . . . thats just cause I might not take it to redline. Cheers

WRX Rush
Old 01-24-2004, 02:01 PM

Do you have an automatic or a manual trans..?

Because the tops I experience are
1st... about 33
2nd...about 62
3rd... 94
4th... 127ish
Old 01-25-2004, 10:07 AM

I did these calculations using a tire size of 225/45VR17, which has a tire diameter of exactly 25 inches. The stock tires have a diameter of 24.9 inches, which equates to .4% smaller. Not much difference. Treadwear differences amount to as much or more.
Thus, the speeds listed in the thread are very very close.
-Mirror
https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...speed+in+gears

Also, don't count on your factory speedo unless you've had it calibrated. They can be shockingly inaccurate.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:32 PM

Mirror I have been running my car with my friends gtech meter testing the quarter mile and every time I can't hit any higher than 95mph in 3rd.

I have tried countless times to run in 3rd without shifting and I have enven tried going even into the red on the tach. My electronic boost controller monitors speed and rpm and I still can't get any higher than 95 after calc's.

I am going to try to do the grounding mod to try and help make some of the gauges and electronics more accurate.

With the speed I am hitting in each gear after I have done calc's it seems that I have a 4.2 rear axle ratio. I am not sure what happens with the 1.1 rear ratio and if that screws with any thing as far a gearing goes. AWD is so confusing why can't it just be like a standard RWD car and have one ratio... I guess this is the price you pay for traction... Traction definatly worth it..
Old 01-25-2004, 11:34 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Go to a real drag strip. Their timing system is much more accurate than even the g-tech competition pro model. It's a lot safer, too.

You can't turn higher than 95 mph through the (theoretical) traps because you don't have enough power. It isn't gearing-related. MPH trap speed does not vary with small differences in gearing or tire diameter. Those variables can affect E.T. Horsepower and a wide torque curve is what generates the big MPH numbers.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 01-26-2004, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by sKOOTeR WRX
Mirror I have been running my car with my friends gtech meter testing the quarter mile and every time I can't hit any higher than 95mph in 3rd.

I have tried countless times to run in 3rd without shifting and I have enven tried going even into the red on the tach. My electronic boost controller monitors speed and rpm and I still can't get any higher than 95 after calc's.

I am going to try to do the grounding mod to try and help make some of the gauges and electronics more accurate.

With the speed I am hitting in each gear after I have done calc's it seems that I have a 4.2 rear axle ratio. I am not sure what happens with the 1.1 rear ratio and if that screws with any thing as far a gearing goes. AWD is so confusing why can't it just be like a standard RWD car and have one ratio... I guess this is the price you pay for traction... Traction definatly worth it..
If you're running stock tires, they are just shy of half a percent smaller in diameter than the 225/45/17s. That will mean fractionally lower speed in gears. I think my calc came out to 97.77mph in third on the 225/45/17s, so a .1" reduction in tire diameter (plus a little tire wear) could easily reduce that number to 95mph in your car.
Cheers,
-Mirror