Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

LSD, 1-way? 2-way? 1.5?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 08:14 PM

LSD, 1-way? 2-way? 1.5?

I have an 04 STI with 33000 miles on it. I just broke my second stock rear lsd. I am in the process of upgrading to a Cusco 1-way lsd which I have and could slap in now, but my question is why go 1-way when you could go 2? Besides tourque binding at slow speeds, noise, and changing your driving style what are the downfalls? I don't see why you would not want it to lock on accel and decel? What are the downfalls? Any clarification would help,
Broken and Bored-
Old 02-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
It really depends on what you use your car for. And, how the heck did you manage to break your stock diff? If you provide me with more info here, I will answer your question here. As it is, I don't have enough info to give you a good answer and I don't bs when it comes to LSD's and especially CUSCO...

If you need help ordering the right spec LSD for your car, feel free to e-mail me at info@bozzperformance.com. As a CUSCO distributor, I will happily assist you.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:59 AM

Car Info: 08 STi
read somewhere that the impreza line's recommended starting setting is to set the initial torque lower up front than the rear.
1-way only kicks in when you are accelerating, 2-way is both decel/accel, 1.5 is a more milder version of the 2-way.

The cusco type-RS LSD lets you do a lot of things for your liking. For example, you can change the cam angle to set the overall responsiveness of the LSD. The recommended setting for the impreza is: 35degrees/Front, 55degrees/rear.

hope this info helps.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Admin v2.0

How many people do you think know what "change the cam angle to set the overall responsiveness of the LSD" mean?

On my personal car I have Type RS rear 1.5 way LSD and Type RS 1 way front. Both front and rear use my own custom spec settings.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:09 PM

I Live in the woods, Two lanes, no yellow line for th most part, potholes, to put it plainly......... f*&$%ed-up roads. I drive hard and use my car. I dont go to the track, I dont race, I like to have fun. I like to slide. I mean you have to admit the feeling of an all-wheel, wait, an adjustable (DCCD) all-wheel drift has to be one of the best feelings, comming short only to one, I have ever experienced.
Initiating a slide on off camber wet roads (I live under redwoods) takes some finesse and it seems easier to pull off with a two-way rear LSD. I do use this car as my every day driver so I am in parking lots and in towns and I have heard the downfall is driving at slow speeds you tend to feel tourque binding from the stiff LSD, is it really that unbearable? I know I am going to have to re-learn how to drive my car with the Cusco in. Do I want to re-learn with a 1-way or 2? And what about the 1.5?
Old 02-16-2006, 02:25 PM
Admin v2.0

Hmm.. Since it is your daily driver, I would recommend the Type MZ LSD for your car. I would start with the 1.5-way LSD for the rear. The cool thing about CUSCO is that you can buy a 1.5/2 way LSD and have it preset at 1.5 from the facotry. Then it is easy to switch it to 2.0 if you want to try that out. However, 1.5 or 1 is the most common for the rear in AWD cars. Noone really uses 2 way in AWD cars.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:58 PM

Car Info: 08 STi
ok, maybe got a little technical there.
The front diff on the impreza acts more like support for the rear so you don't want it to overpower the rear. If you do, it will start acting like a FF car. That's why you want the initial torque to be less in the front than the rear.

The impreza is said to have more FR characteristics so this setup is to keep it within that range. Then you can adjust your driving style or adjust the LSD to your liking. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Like Imprezer said, 1/1.5 way is a good starting point.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
Originally Posted by Imprezer
How many people do you think know what "change the cam angle to set the overall responsiveness of the LSD" mean?

On my personal car I have Type RS rear 1.5 way LSD and Type RS 1 way front. Both front and rear use my own custom spec settings.

Cuz your car is being driven all the time

-special K
Old 02-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
The Cusco LSD that is in question was supposed to be a 1.5 way, but upon further inspection realized it was not. Turns out that it's an RS and not adjustable, it's actually a 182FG to be exact which has more plates (12 per side and more springs 24) vs. 10 & 16 respectively. It appears that this LSD is actually spec'd for autocross use which might be perfect for this customer. I drove the car yesterday, the diff is tight even after friction modifier. I'm not worried anymore about it not being enough, the pre-load is much greater than all the other RS's we've installed. I'm sure we will know more shortly

-Adam