Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Learning the manual gearbox!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 04:39 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
Originally posted by jamester
But really, do any experienced stick drivers really do the hand-brake thing, or is it just advice for newbs that are still scared of hills?
this is not a newbie technique. I'm from Pittsburgh where there are a LOT of hills. it makes life a lot easier on you and your clutch if you use this technique. especially if you are stopped on a hill and the driver behind you has pulled right up to your bumper, you NEED to use this technique.

so go practice this. and i gurantee you'll be glad you did.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:54 PM

Car Info: GDA
try to get the car moving in 2nd gear from a complete stop. you'll learn the friction point much faster -- don't give it enough gas at friction point, you stall.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:50 PM

Car Info: dreaming on a WHITE wrx
just to bump up again..

i got almost everythign down, and well i just want to hear some techniques as to driving bumper to bumper and traffic driving.

i admit, that for me, i usually give my self space so that i engage in 1st and get it going b4 i have to stop again in traffic, instead of staying on clutch and playing w/ gas to move.. is this techniqure wrong?? (1st or 2nd)

also,

during u-turns from dead stop, and when u take turns, ur not supposed to be on clutch right? at times during u - turns, i notice the car shutter a bit, yet, when i press clutch in while u-turning (1st gear) its seems smoother and then when i just use gas or let it roll.

i was driving my friends standard and i didn't clutch in (2nd gear making a turn) and he's like u can clutch in? i d k my instincts told me that was not right, but when he drove i saw him clutch in. i am curious as to when exactly u can clutch in, my idea is that u clutch in to bring it to gear. or u stay on clutch during reverse and slow speed bumps. other than that i dont think one should hold clutch in while car is moving at anything higher than 1st or R?

please advise me because honestly i didn't learn standard from anyone, i just practiced it alone.

but thanks..

please advise the noob...
Old 11-29-2004, 06:18 PM

Car Info: 05 LGT Wagon, 05 S4 Sedan, 05 WRX (sold)
what you mean by clutch in?
when driving a manual shift the gears should be engaged at all times except when about to stop completely. (and obviosly when parked with engine on)
Old 11-29-2004, 06:39 PM

well like for example:

i think going 3rd or 2nd anythign besides 1st, and we see a left so 'he' just lets off gass i guess and so i guess rpm is dropping and etc etc..

i see him clutch and hold it in from the start trhough the turn till the turn finishs. then he releases it out to balance w/ gas.. i dunno if he added gas or just release the clutch out, but i guess the point is whether or not u are supposed to hold the clutch in and what not while trhough a turn, or u-turn.

and for traffic. i guess what i mean is fiddling w/ the clutch and or gas to move it, or should one give space between car, engage fully and off clutch and move forward and then clutch in and hold w/ brake when alsmot near stop again and b4 seeing distance to move again.

thanks.. i've driven in citty traff b4, and what not, but just curious what is the propaer way, while learning i someimtes over-rev trying to move car forward during traffic.

thanks again.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:11 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
Actually, when I'm in traffic, I can usually get away with letting it idle in first gear. I realize you can't do this 100% of the time, so when that's not an option, you just have to be quick on the clutch and brakes and try to be as smooth as you can. As far as the clutch in while turning, I don't see the point, if it's a 90 degree turn, like at an intersection I've either downshifted or I'm starting from a stop, so I'm usually in 2nd and just leave it there thru the turn and upshift after I'm going straight again . . . if it's a windy turn, I don't usually have to do anything in regards to the tranny, just kind of point and go . . .
Old 11-29-2004, 09:09 PM

so its bad to press and hold clutch in through any turn right?? i mean i can understand if i needed to downshift to pull me through the turn,- and even that is clutching in momentarily to shift, but i don't get the logic of just pressing and holding the clutch in while through the turn and not shifting... is it bad for the clutch? something tells me it is, yet i d k the real mechanical logic behind it.

so i guess for traffic, u just have to engage in 1st and go off clutch smootlhy while gas? and clutch in and brake when u closed the gap.

i guess w/o confusion, i am just curious as to if the people during traffic completely let off the clutch, or are they clutched in a bit. and ride it a bit? i just wanna knwo the proper way of doing it or if what im doing is wrong.

here's what i dofeel free to critique and advise me)
okay
-brake and clutch IN while in 1st
(car in front moves and distance is created)
-release clutch (to point of engage) + gas to pull car <-- this is the part where i dunno if i should completely let off clutch or hold it in a bit since the distance is little during traffic. my instinct tells me im riding it if i'm clutched in while gassing to go. yet i know at times when i release too fast, the car jerks.

thanks..
Old 11-30-2004, 07:19 PM

I oftened wondered if it was bad to hold the clutch in on a sharp turn as well. More often than not I down shift before the turn, but sometimes I let the car's momentum get me through the turn. This would be a sharp turn where you would need to go into 2nd. As for your question about traffic. I'm assuming you're referring to stop and go traffic. This can be very jerky and stressful if you're trying to stay in 1st the whole time. Don't forget about neutral. If it doesn't look like traffic is going to move for 5-10 seconds I slow down in my current gear (usually 2nd, or 3rd) until about 10, or 15 miles an hour hopefully not to the point of stalling. I then clutch in and put it in neutral and just kind of coast up to the car ahead of me. This is good for when you're only moving a bit at the time and it's less jerky than trying to have a super light foot on the throttle in first to prevent jerking. This way you can stretch you're left leg, relax and cruise to a stop much like in an automatic. I do NOT recommend doing this at speed. If traffic is really bad, I might have to keep it in first and just keep starting and stopping with the clutch... in and out. This is frustrating because by the time you have it in gear(which is why you would keep it in 1st), slip the clutch and get rolling...the car in front of you may be jamming on their brakes. Which means you're only option at this point is to put the clutch in. Experiment using a variety of techiques to drive smoothly in traffic and remember, we all still make bone head mistakes...from time to time. Hope this helps.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:35 PM

thank man..
i do exactly the same.. even at red lights, i coast and time and b4 i completely stop clutch in + neutral. then if i notice green soon, clutch in + put in 1st and then .... etc etc..

for traffic i do the same, and that was what i was curious about. i notice that b4 i can at times fully let go of clutch i have to clutch in + brake and/or neutral it. but mostly its 1st, cuz it moves yet it moves ever 5 seconds or whatever. i was not sure if that is bad. i dislike the traffic on the hills and slants, usually i let myself have the space b4 i move, just incase i may over-rev or shoot it, so that i can let clutch out smoothly b4 pressing it in to stop again.

i still not sure of certain terms such as slip clutch?? or pop clutch?? does slip clutch mean let the clutch grab a bit b4 adding gas?

** also, is it bad to let clutch move ur car?? to inch up w/o adding gas?? is this bad? i mean i let the clutch grab a bit then i add gas while letting the clutch out smoothly. i notice on flat land that the car will move, and im curious if using this technique during traffic is bad, or should i just engage instead using clutch to move?

thanks..
Old 12-01-2004, 06:47 AM

Car Info: 1990 thing
I know on the new WRX's you can get the car moving without using the throttle at all, which is a neat little trick, just slowly release the clutch (helps if you keep your heel planted) and away you go
Old 12-01-2004, 09:23 AM

hehe technology..

i've driven only old car and this standard is an 88 accord.. and i was thinking bout the WRX later in the future so just doing the research.