Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Learning the manual gearbox!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 06:45 PM

Thumbs up Learning the manual gearbox!

Hey folks. own a 2002 WRX 4EAT sedan with a decent amount of mods. I love the car and its been great. I've never really had the opportunity to drive a 5 spd or anything so I just recently purchased a 91 Honda CRX HF. I spent 1.5 hours in a parking lot today with my dad (this was kind of cool since I'm 26 and haven't really been in the position where he could show me something for a long time). I did pretty lousy I think. I can stop alright(without stalling) but getting it going in 1st is tough I pop the clutch all the time. Funny enough my dad drove it like a champ even after 15 years. I had on safety shoes(steel toes) and I don't think that helped me. I stalled like 20 times.....its kind of a tough thing once you've been driving auto for like 9 yrs. Still its exciting and I can't wait til Sunday for the next training session. I have a few questions:

1) How different is it to drive a more powerful car like the STI, or WRX?

2) What are the clutches like on WRXs and STIs?

3) any tips? I stalled a lot going into first. Basically in this car it seems first just gets you going and then you go to second. I know I'm letting the clutch out too fast and it jerks like crazy then stalls (if I can't get the clutch in again fast enough) any way to get used to letting it out easy?

4) I'm glad I didn't buy an 02 WRX with a 5spd...I think I would have broke it for sure? Are the advances in manual gearbox technology great from 1991? Is it easier these days?!!! lol

Anyway I had a good time today and thought I'd share it with the group because...pretty much thats what its all about.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:07 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
i drove a stick for half an hour when i was 14 in India. but that doesn't really add too much to the experience since the only time i drove after that was about 2 years later when i turned 16. i drove an auto for a 5-6 months and got the hang of navigating in traffic and getting the general 'driving' down. then over that summer i learnt stick on my dad's 93 Accord DX. (which later became my car)

and i've been driving stick since then. basically, go to a flat parking lot or road and try moving the car with just the clutch. yes it can be done. finesse is the key word here. throttle control is also very important. practice getting the RPMs to stay at a constant 2000 then to 3000 then back to 2500 and be able to hold them at a certain rpm for a period of time.

1st gear is ONLY to take off on the street. do not bother shifting to it any other time. also, in my old 93 accord to be smooth and not jerk around (i think the car had a light flywheel with regards to the torque it produced (137 ft.lb)) i could never completely disengage the clutch in 1st. let the clutch half way out while in 1st and when it was time to go to second like a few seconds later, i'd push it in all the way and shift.

don't even bother practicing the 2=>3 shift or 3=>4 shift etc. get the take off from 1st down and the 1=>2 shift down. everything else is a joke compared to these two things.

once you are competent in upshifting, then you can work on rev-matching your downshifts etc. go to www.howstuffworks.com and read up on 'how a manual tranny works' get an understanding of the mechanical aspects and visualize it in your head and it will help you shift better. do NOT force the transmission into doing anything it doesn't want to.

btw, i've been driving stick for the past 5 years now and i feel i'm pretty competent on the upshifting, and rev-matching/double-clutching on downshifts etc. although there are always some times were i **** it up and in my head i say sorry to the car.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:14 PM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
1) wouldn't know cuz the only stick i ever drove is my wrx.
2) my father said that this clutch is a lot better than his older nissan truck. so the technology got better? i guess?
3) practice, lotssssss of practice. thats what i was told. takes time to figure out how to keep your revs. when i first started, i took the car out at midnight and drove all over the place. not very well i might add.

so your wrx is an auto? i heard that in Hondas you can do clutch drops to get a quick start, but that is asking for a broken tranny on the wrx.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:18 PM

I had another driving session today and I did a lot better. There was even a lot of traffic in the parking lot where I practice. I had to perform in some real world driving situations. For example I was stuck on an incline because a car was coming my way and I then had to get the car going again in gear without rolling into the parked car behind me. Thankfully I made it. That friction point is pretty much the big thing and for me the hardest thing to do is get starting in first or reverse. After that I can brake, downshift and up shift pretty easy. I even launched my car a few times at like 3000 rpm....but with 72 horse or whatever it wasn't impressive. I still stall it in first sometimes. I seem to get going the best when I rev a little bit first and then as the rpms are falling ease the clutch out. I didn't realize it was such an "touchy" process of easing in the clutch and easing it out. A lot of fun, but I did a lot of jerking around....and in front of a lot of people in the lot. Being humbles is good....
Old 02-08-2004, 10:42 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
An old Honda tranny & clutch is going to be much more forgiving than a 5MT WRX.

The Honda shifter is going to feel less precise, even rubbery compared to the WRX.

The Honda clutch is also much lighter than the one on the WRX, and yes, everything other ppl have said about the higher clutch point is true too.

The sum of this is that you are in better shape to learn stick in your Honda that you would in a WRX!
Old 02-09-2004, 01:26 PM

Good thing I'm learning on this thing then. Plus it gives me time to decide my next move, STI, 350Z, SRT-4, Evo....who knows! One question how would you use your hand brake on hills? I haven't heard of doing that from anyone. The shifter on the CRX is kind of "rubbery" still pretty defined gates and everything though.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:21 PM

Car Info: 95 Impreza coup, green, 5speed 1.8l awd
has anyone else learned driving and stick at once?
because now that i have been drive for so long when i got my light weight flywheel i had enough experience that i only need to give 300rpms more than before

i have only driven a auto twice and i hate it because the brakes are too touchy compared to my limp impreza brakes

so practice practice practice and you can drive like a champ
Old 02-17-2004, 11:08 PM

Car Info: 03 Wrx black sedan + 2013 BRZ
Originally posted by turborambler
One question how would you use your hand brake on hills? I haven't heard of doing that from anyone.
From what I was told and have done is I pull the hand brake up and do what I normally would do when I put the car in first. When I feel 1st start to catch I let go of the hand break and I'm on my way. One word of advice make sure you have the hand break release button pressed down, the first time I did this I didn't hold down the hand break button and when I let go of the hand break it was still engaged with me trying to get the car into gear.

Jason
Old 02-18-2004, 01:13 PM

Well after one god awful night where I thought my dad was gonna kill me and the CRX was gonna die I was ready to hang it up. The next day my dad drove me to a community college campus and said "I'm going to go for a walk you toy around with this". So there I sat. I got it going without stalling it, and then again, then I pulled it into a spot and put it into reverse....no stalling. I did this for about an 30 minutes until I stalled it in reverse. Then I even managed to get the car going in second gear! So after 4 hours or so I think I got it down. I still get nervous on hills so I haven't been driving it around much (plus I have a WRX..and auto or not the car hauls), but I plan to practice on the hills near where I live. There are nice side streets for that near me. So after I get this down I'm supposed to teach my friend...hopefully I'm a good teacher.

Quick Reply: Learning the manual gearbox!