Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Humming noise...throwout bearing???

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 08:34 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Question Humming noise...throwout bearing???

I have a droning/humming noise that is happening at certain RPM's and only when I am on the throttle. It is happening from 2800 to 3800 RPMs and I can only hear it when I am on the gas...Sounds like a wheel bearing would sound like if it was going out. My buddy seems to think it could be the throwout bearing. I am not very good with Tranny/Clutch stuff so I don't know what it is. Does this sound possible to you guys and is this something that you change when you get a new clutch installed? I was thinking about getting a new clutch anyways cause It has been acting funny lately.

Thanks!

-Ryan
Old 10-19-2004, 12:00 PM
VIP Member

bump??
Old 10-22-2004, 06:27 AM

Car Info: 04 STI
Question maybe

How many miles on the car? What car is it? When you are stopped with the engine running, shifter in neutral, if you press the clutch in does the noise stop? And if you let the clutch out does it make the noise while still in neutral? Any noise at all?
Old 10-22-2004, 09:08 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by monsterboy
How many miles on the car? What car is it? When you are stopped with the engine running, shifter in neutral, if you press the clutch in does the noise stop? And if you let the clutch out does it make the noise while still in neutral? Any noise at all?
The car just rolled 78k and it is a 2002 WRX Sedan. The noise is only there at a certain rpm range when I am on the throttle. Although I am starting to hear more of a humming noise now. But when I depress the throttle in 2nd or 3rd gear I can hear a waaa-waaa-waaaaa noise. It seems to go away or at least I can't hear it when I get into higher speeds. I also have the cold clutch problem sometimes and it seems to be getting worse.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:11 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
I don't think it's the throwout bearing. There is only pressure applied to the throwout bearing when the clutch is disengaged, not when the car is under power. Depressing the clutch pedal is when I would expect to hear or feel something gone amiss with the throwout bearing. If the clutch engages and disengages normally, I would not suspect the throwout bearing. If you're going to replace the clutch then the throwout bearing should always be changed at the same time. Factory replacement throwout bearings are permanently lubricated but the input shaft of the transmission should have a thin layer of the recommended grease where the throwout bearing rides.

Make sure that your replacement clutch is recommended for street use, as racing clutch materials are far too 'grabby' for smooth engagement.

If a shop does the install for you, have them save the old parts for examination. If the old throwout bearing can be spun freely with no binding or rough spots and no rattling or free play, it was probably okay.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 10-22-2004, 08:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
It could still be a rear wheel bearing. Many times a "bad" bearing when it is first starting to go only makes noise when additional load is put on it. This is most common and obvious on front bearings when you apply the brakes or go around a corner, applying more load to the front bearings. Though I've never seen it my self, it would make sence that hard acceleration would apply more load to the rear bearings and therefor creat the tell-tale bad bearing noise. I would reccomend having a friend (one who knows what a bad bearing sounds like) sit in the back seat as you accelerate hard to see if the noise may be coming from one of the rear bearings.

-Chris

I agree with WW, I don't think it is a throwout bearing like you describe. The throwout bearing isn't under any load untill the clutch is depressed.

Last edited by bassplayrr; 10-22-2004 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:30 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
It's tough diagnosing strange car noises over the internet - especially when we have to imagine what it sounds like from a text description.

--
0==WW==0
Old 10-25-2004, 05:45 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder
It's tough diagnosing strange car noises over the internet - especially when we have to imagine what it sounds like from a text description.

--
0==WW==0
Ya, I know...Thanks for trying though guys I am gonna have a shop throw a new clutch in soon and then we'll see what it is. I have the Cold Clutch Shudder pretty bad so hopefully that will fix that as well.

Thanks!

Ryan
Old 11-14-2004, 08:07 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI
Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder

--
0==WW==0

soooooooo true... ur a smart and informative fella