Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Help Please scooby noobie car wont move

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 03:50 PM

Car Info: 96 ej18 impreza
Help Please scooby noobie car wont move

I have a 96 Impreza Coupe 1.8 5 speed AWD i was driving the car on the highway and coming around a decent bend at about 80mph and the car stopped accellerating and just revved up like it poped out of gear, come to find out no matter wich gear im in it doesnt move anymore. i havent tried reverse, but i had to tow the car home. engine runs revvs fine, car wont go, doesnt make any funny noises in the gears and goes in and out of them no problem, just doesnt move in the gear. anyone ever have this problem before? driveshaft and axels all look in tact theres a crack in my rear differentnial cover, and i have imaginary shift linkage bushings lol. car has 230k on it, no burt clutch smell.. i just dont know where to start. i have good mechanical knowledge but this is my first AWD car so i dont know how the diffs break down the power. like if i blew my rear end shouldnt the car still move because the front diff is fine? any feedback would be appreciated
Old 11-24-2008, 12:54 PM

i hear these cars have glass trannys... whats the possibility i blew out the entire gear box at once? clutch shouldve blown first no?
Old 11-24-2008, 01:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Any number of things could have gone wrong. Since this sounds to be tranny related, start by draining the tranny fluid, check the mag plug, fine slivers like filings is normal, large chunks not normal. Push the car while in gear, any resistance,? or does it roll as if in neutral. Something could have happened with the tranny input shaft, splines stripped on clutch disc, clutch disc broken. I'm shooting in the dark here.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:21 PM

me to, mag plug would be a good place to start, no real resistance in any gears thanks man
Old 11-24-2008, 02:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
SO there's no resistance if you push it while in gear? If that's the case your tranny is decoupled from your motor somehow. If the drain plug is clean. It's probably further forward. Maybe the splines on the clutch disc, the input shaft...
Old 11-24-2008, 03:58 PM

just didnt know if the car should still move if the rear end was ****ed up
Old 11-25-2008, 05:48 PM

because with the cracked rear diff cover and a slight whine at high speeds i assumed it was rear end related, but when the car stopped accellerating i figured the front wheels would still pull me if it was a rear end blown but wasnt sure how the diffs broke down with resistance and stuff. like i know differentials put power to the wheel with the least resistance so if the rear diff was blown would the car still attempt to move the front wheels?
Old 11-25-2008, 05:54 PM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
sounds like a clutch issue,,
Old 11-26-2008, 09:07 AM

thanks for the feedback guys, to cold to pull the tranny down! is there any stronger trannys that bolt into these cars? and if not what does another pos tranny go for lol