Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Grinding when putting in 1st gear at stop light (when not moving).

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 10:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
Originally posted by majoragee
I have the same problem, but now that I'm aware of it, it rarely happens. It only happens when I shift in to first quickly. I just don't do that anymore. The only time the gear grinds now is when a stop light turns green and I'm not expecting it. I shift quickly without thinking about it and immediately remember why I don't do that anymore.

I bought my car used with about 24k miles on it. I have about 37k on it now. I don't abuse my transmission, but who knows what the person who owned it before me did to it. The grinding has happened since I got the car, but possibly got worse when I switched to synthetic gear oil. It's my first MT car and I thought it was just me at first...but I know better now. I'll probably take it to the dealer soon and see if they feel like fixing it. Hope I go on a good day.
thats exactly what i do also, i bought mine new and i just recentyl swapper tranny oil to snythetic, so i am sure the previous owner on your car was nice just has syn oil in it.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:02 AM

Try Pennzoil/Gm Syncromesh Fluid, which is available at autozone under the name pennzoil for like 3.50 a quart, or from a GM stealership for like 10. Synthetic Fluids are too thin for the transmission, the friction properties are wrong for Brass syncros (Which I assume the wrx 5speed uses.) Changing fluid can greatly effect trans shifting. In my dsm I ran regular gear oil and it shifted good, mostly better when warm but getting into first was a stop the go affair, switched to Mobil 1 synthetic and started grinding gears like a ****, switched to a heavier fluid with more friction (The Pennz, Gm syncromesh) and all of a sudden I could downshift into 1st at like 40 mph (with a little coercion on my part) and 40 would have put the car at like 8000 rpm.

Fluid, Fluid, Fluid, The single most important part of a transmission.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:37 AM

Since I've went to the Syncromesh/75-90w dino cocktail shifting has been greatly improved. Goes into 1st well and as of yet have not had a grind incident. Try to use as much of the 75-90w as possible to maintain protection for the differentials. I mixed it 3 to 1 and it's worked well so far.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:46 AM

I had first gear problems from the day I bought my 02 new. Tried all the synthetics, only made things worse. Finally had tranny rebuilt under warrenty and using regular old gear oil. Synthetics are a waste of money in the WRX.