Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Grinding/Buzz in transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 10:10 PM

Car Info: 2002 Wrb WRX sedan
Grinding/Buzz in transmission

Ok, here's the deal:
I was in an accident and cracked the transmission case. The insurance said that since there should be no damage to the gears that they were only going to pay to have my gears transplanted into the new case. The dealer also offered to install a clutch and flywheel at no cost if I provided the parts which I promptly did.

A few days after the install I notice a metallic vibration or grinding noise when I was decelerating in gear. Pretty much only coming down from 4k rpm until 3k rpm. In addition I started getting a grind while going into first, even after a complete stop. Reverse started to grind and the vibration/grinding noise was pretty bad in 3rd gear.

I took it in an explained the problem hoping that it was not my clutch or flywheel. The dealer finally got back to me and said that there was unusual wear on the 3 rd gear (unusual because it had been a month since the tranny was rebuilt the first time and they applauded me on the lack of wear in my gears after 52,000 miles). None the less, they replaced a number of parts, put it back together and assured me that it was just as new. They also said that the clutch and flywheel are just fine and t he problem had nothing to do with it.

It is now not even 2 weeks later and the noise is back again. Where could it be coming from? what could be the cause?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 04-12-2005, 03:47 PM

Car Info: 95 Impreza coup, green, 5speed 1.8l awd
did they check the gears set to make sure the main shaft wasnt bent and magna fluxed the gears for cracks because your internals might be bent or cracked also what did they replace?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:37 PM

Car Info: 2002 Wrb WRX sedan
This is a list of what they replaced. Not sure if they did any of the other work. The insurance company was convinced that there was no internal damage so they only paid for the rebuild:

Sleeve hub
gear set 3rd
washer gear thrust 4th
sleeve/hub
ring baulk
synchro set
nut
key
key
gear & hub
bushing driven gear 2nd
insert shifting 1 & 2