Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

finally got that 4th gear grind

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 06:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: WRB WRX 2003 Subaru Sedan
Angry finally got that 4th gear grind

for the first year of my cars life i never had a problem with the 4th gear before. Then i crashed my car and they had to do some heavy work including replacing the clutch etc...

well shortly after getting it back i started getting the 4th gear grid. now it's really gotten worse.

i'm i on the road to having to replace it again? or is this just what everyone else have to deal with
Old 07-27-2004, 10:47 PM

Car Info: Mazda Protege '02 (Wishing protege has AWD and a H6 twin turbo)
Originally Posted by bushido
for the first year of my cars life i never had a problem with the 4th gear before. Then i crashed my car and they had to do some heavy work including replacing the clutch etc...

well shortly after getting it back i started getting the 4th gear grid. now it's really gotten worse.

i'm i on the road to having to replace it again? or is this just what everyone else have to deal with

There was an issue going on with that gear. I believe that faulty synchro's were put in. I would have them fix this if you can manage it or at least have them check their work.

Have note that hotter days seem to amplify this effect so make sure they check it on a nice hot day with fast shifting to simulate the problem.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
ah the infamous 4th gear grind, this is getting all too common.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:19 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
its a syncro problem. The syncro basically stops spinning freely.

Get it fixed before you do more damage...if they aren't gonna pay for it I'd start saving money for an RA Gear set and just start over from scratch with a better tranny.

this 4th gear problem makes me very glad I got a 100k warranty.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:18 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Mine's ground half a dozen times or so...always when the car has been very hot.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
mine does it no matter if it's hot or cold
Old 09-21-2004, 02:33 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX
I'm taking my car in friday for this problem. Any suggestions? Do I have any ground to stand on or are they going to blame it on me? The cars not even a year old with about 12k on it. There is no way this should be happening.

I'm starting to doubt my choice of cars on this one... sorry i didnt go for an Acura.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:40 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
They should fix it no questions asked, no down payments or anything.

My car had something like 23k on it when I took it in.

Turns out what happens is a problem with the sycros and it's not a major one when attended to quickly. The syncros are suppose to move freely...but when they don't and they get locked up it causes the gear grind. After talking to the tech folks...it's more common than i'd like to think.

so...take it in. Make sure you get a replacement vehicle..this is a warranty issue. Tell them what it's doing. Go on a test drive with the tech person...tell him what to do to insure that the grind is reproduced on the test drive. first run the tech guy didn't get my grind I told him to take it up in rpm's a little more...grind city. He immediately knew what it was and said they'd fix it.

If you have any questions...PM. Old90. He works at Santa Cruz Subaru. he might be able to direct you.

but I wouldn't worry about it. They had my car like a week...good as new.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:12 PM

i am having the same exact problem, at high speeds/rpm i am getting this 4th gear grinding.. I was familiar with my 35k warranty ending 1k miles ago.. but someone informed me that i have a 60k/5yr power train warranty.. Hopefully subaru will fix this for me for free
Old 09-22-2004, 11:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
Sounds like I have the same problem, but in multiple gears.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:09 AM

depending on the the year and production date there is a updated 3-4 gearset to resolve this issue.llast 8 of your vin and production date and ill be happy to tell you if you have the old style or updated set.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:44 AM

Car Info: 04 WRX
I just took my car in on friday, 2004 w/ 12k... they are covering it under warranty and gave me a nice losner car while its being fixed. Should have it back tuesday or Wed.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:35 PM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
I have the same problem. Tranny has been fine for 22k miles so far and now all of the sudden 4th gear grinds when shifitng out of 3rd going WOT. I have the extended warranty but is this something they will only fix on a stock car? I have upgraded turbo, injectors, ecu, exhaust, etc.... Didn't know if syncros fall under the same category as a broken tranny caused from higher power.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:31 PM

4th gear

that will have to be up to your dealer and there (dsm)district service manger.but if there are any performance mods it wont be covered.but you never know till you try.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:06 PM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
eh its not worth trying. don't want to waste money having them inspect it only to have them deny work on the car.

Quick Reply: finally got that 4th gear grind