Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Fidanza flywheel problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 10:52 PM

Car Info: 02silverWRXsedan
Fidanza flywheel problems

When my tranny went the first time I got a fidanza flywheel and a RPS streetable clutch kit. 1st gear was shot, so it was my fault and i was honest to the dealer and told them what happened. they were cool and decided to give $700 towards parts to fix my car as long i pay for labor (which was about $1200 for me) PLAY YOU PAY. so i went ahead and bought the fidanza and RPS clutch.
the mechanic then told me that the flywheel hole where the pilot bearing goes was a little to big, that the bearing is suppose to barely fit in there. keep in mine my car was out for 3 months because some tranny part was on back order. so i bought other mods and they put them on for me along with a signed agreement saying my warranty can be voided with some of my mods. they installed my vishnu uppipe, STi irdium plugs, flywheel, clutch, and GFB pulley's. back to the flywheel, i decided to put the stock one in and they had my car out ready to go. broke in my tranny with about a 700 miles. i was like no more AWD clutch dumps for me. 3days later i take a co-worker for a ride in my new monster, i let it warm up and then i gun it in the empty parking lot at like 3 in the morning (night shift) and he was damn thats f**ken fast, that was just 1st gear, so i went for another pass and this i shifted into 2nd and boom......... 2ND gear gone all the teeth are gone. got it towed back and had them rip it apart again. meanwhile i started to read up on my car here on the I-club and found out that upgraded clutch can be harsh for AWD highpowered cars. i guess i needed to feather it into 2nd DUH!. then again YOU PLAY YOU PAY, YOU PLAY WRONG YOU PAY MORE.lol. i told the dearler ship again what happened and they cut me another break (pay for labor) $900 bucks. this time i called up fidanza about the big hole thing and they said that the hole will get smaller when the flywheel heat up hence thats why they made the hole bigger, so he recomended i get some lock tight to keep it in there while the hole shrinks on to the pilot bearing. so the put it in and week later i was driving my car again and racing some muscle like camaroSS and modded stangs. i learned how to feather it off the line and into 2nd. pretty soon my clutch started to feel like it was going, its only been like 6000miles. the mechanic felt the clutch pedal and said i needed a new clutch. decided to go with a stock disc. so i drop my tranny in my garage and see that it was not my clutch but my flywheel, the fidanza had all kinds of hot spots and wore out one side of the clutch.

so now my question is what flywheel should i go with?????..... please help
Old 03-12-2003, 11:19 AM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
If it truely is your flywheel, I would just stick with tried and true Exedy. It is after all OEM for the STi's.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:26 PM

do you know how much it costs?????
Old 03-14-2003, 10:09 AM

anyone???????