Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Downshifting to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 11:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: GF8 ver6
Do you drive stick shift?
I haven't seen anybody driving like that.

If I downshift, I downshift it to 2nd when I stop. I never do 1st and I don't think anybody does.

But usually I leave it in 3rd or 4th or whatever I am in. I don't think anybody use neutral to stop.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:40 AM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
It's better to use the brakes, brakes are cheaper and easier to replace than a clutch.

If you are going down a very long hill then it's OK to use the motor as a brake to prevent your brakes from fading.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:47 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX WRB
There have been several discussions on this in the past with the general concensus that it's okay to use the transmission to slow down as long as you match the revs first. However, it's my opinion that brakes are for stopping and the transmission is for accelerating, and why put the extra stress on your glass Subaru transmission? I'd rather burn the brakes and replace them with upgraded pads, rotors, and lines in the future.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:04 AM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
that's engine braking...
I don't normally do that. I usually leave it in the current gear, brake to proper speed, then downshift. The only time i do engine braking is when no brake is required, but speed has gone down and requires the downshift. But always remember to tab the gas to rev match.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:03 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
I like to use engine breaking as I'm slowing down

If noting else I get more practice rev matching
Old 12-17-2002, 09:01 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Just repeating here that, while engine braking isn't all that harsh on your car, it can't possibly be better than just replacing your pads 5,000 miles sooner. So, unless you just like to practice rev-matching, want to hear your exhaust/intake, or are concerned about response to sudden emergencies, just hit the brakes.

But engine braking is definitely more fun, and if you didn't like fun you'd have bought a Toyota.

Quick Reply: Downshifting to a stop