Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Downshifting into 1st at low mph

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 05:38 PM

Car Info: 2011 OBP STi
Downshifting into 1st at low mph

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem? (I did a search but didn't find much info)

Lets say the traffic meter is on but there are no cars, i slow down enough to pass on the green, at lets say 5 miles per hour rolling through. At this point i'm in second gear, shift it into neutral, but the tranny will not let me get into first.
So at this point, i shift it back into second and of course the motor bogs like crazy until i hit about ~1.5k rpms. Is there a way to shift it into first? Is it just my car? It seems like there is a block, not allowing me to get into first.

I haven't driven many non-subarus but i'm guessing it is easy to shift into first in other cars at low mph.

Thanks,
-Matt
Old 06-05-2008, 05:41 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Double clutch it and if that doesn't work go to complete stop and go into first.

Welcome to the WRX 5 speed.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:41 PM

Car Info: 02 bugeye with tune by Ed
I can't really give you a technical reason because frankly I don't really know for sure, but I do know that all 2002 wrxs and I believe the 03s have this problem. Im pretty and someone correct me if Im wrong but there are no synchros in first gear so you can't downshift unless at a dead stop or going very very very slow. It's true that a lot of other cars have the ability to donwshift into first. Why the wrx can't,

Hope this helps...

But to answer your question, I don't think it is your trans. going bad because I own a 2002 and have the same prob as do many others on this forum. Only reason why some owners may not have this prob is because they have the Type RA gearset.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the quick replies, i've noticed this for a while, glad to know it isn't just me.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by stealthrex68
I can't really give you a technical reason because frankly I don't really know for sure, but I do know that all 2002 wrxs and I believe the 03s have this problem. Im pretty and someone correct me if Im wrong but there are no synchros in first gear so you can't downshift unless at a dead stop or going very very very slow. It's true that a lot of other cars have the ability to donwshift into first. Why the wrx can't,

Hope this helps...

But to answer your question, I don't think it is your trans. going bad because I own a 2002 and have the same prob as do many others on this forum. Only reason why some owners may not have this prob is because they have the Type RA gearset.
no synchros? lol try again.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by DeZt
Thanks for the quick replies, i've noticed this for a while, glad to know it isn't just me.
double clutch it and you should be okay. I can get into first don't expect it to go in so easily +15mph. Replace the tranny fluid if it still isn't working for you.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by 03_Impreza_Al
double clutch it and you should be okay. I can get into first don't expect it to go in so easily +15mph. Replace the tranny fluid if it still isn't working for you.
Ok, i'll try double clutching, thanks.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
i dont have to double clutch and i can downshift into first goin like 10mph and ive got an 2002
Old 06-05-2008, 07:19 PM

Car Info: 07 Wrx
i gotta go to like at most 5mph on my 07wrx - its just a safeguard so you dun blow ur tranny, most cars have this.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:32 PM

Car Info: 02 bugeye with tune by Ed
Originally Posted by 03_Impreza_Al
no synchros? lol try again.
I don't know. lol again I as explained in my post all I know is it is common and not a trans. problem. If not synchros then what is it?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:32 PM

Car Info: 2006 AW STi
Yes most cars have this even my integra did. It's there just so you don't accidentally down shift at high speeds into 1st. Just match the rpm's when shifting into 2nd. I can't shift into 1st unless dead stop but I shift into 2nd when needed with no problem.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:51 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX
Most 02-04 WRX 5MT's have a difficult time getting into first because they use a single-cone synchro design. Beginning in the late 04 5MT's they upgraded to a double-cone synchro. It also doesn't help that 1st and 2nd gear ratios are so far apart.

There are many times where you need to get into first while rolling, such as approaching stopped traffic on an incline that's just beginning to move. The 2.0L just doesn't have enough torque down low to use 2nd gear in this situation. Gotta love this gearbox!
Old 06-07-2008, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by SimpleSpec
There are many times where you need to get into first while rolling, such as approaching stopped traffic on an incline that's just beginning to move. The 2.0L just doesn't have enough torque down low to use 2nd gear in this situation. Gotta love this gearbox!
yeah, that's exactly why i asked.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:08 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon
Learn how to double-clutch and all your WRX tranny problems will go away. I can drop into first at 20mph by double-clutching. Smooth shift and no bucking or grinding.

Last edited by CharT; 06-07-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:14 AM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
I think most 02 03 have this prob. in my 06 i can shift into 1st around 25-30. i dont but if i am coming to stop off of the freeway i can put it into first around there.

it kills me cuz when i drive the roomies wrx when we are car pooling and he is to tired to drive i do the same thing and grind (sorry hippo )

like one of the above posters said i think it is an 02 03 issue. probably better anyway.

the one nice thing though is if you are rolling to a stop and say you are at 10 or 15mph you can dump into first and get a good jump on other cars if you have to switch lanes or something

however if i am going like 40 or 45 it locks me out so i cant shift into accidently on the freeway. i dont know what person would do that but if you are searching for gears on that side when you should be going into 5th you need to re-learn driving a MT

Quick Reply: Downshifting into 1st at low mph