Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 07:54 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Lightbulb

check it:

http://www.spdusa.com/shifting.htm
Old 08-01-2003, 05:08 PM

well if your coming to a red light in 4th... just go into N and ride out the brakes. its much easier and cheaper to replace brake pads than it is to replace a clutch. i only downshift taking turns and whatnot, but comin to a stop... i just ride the brakes.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:25 AM

Car Info: 98 L w/hybrid ej257 Linked
what is it about 3700 RPM? or is it just an example number..

and when i attempt heal-toe (while not moving car off) i cant touch both pedals like the pedals are to small or somehting..
Old 08-18-2003, 01:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: black my03 5mt wrx s/w
Originally posted by Fantabulous
well if your coming to a red light in 4th... just go into N and ride out the brakes. its much easier and cheaper to replace brake pads than it is to replace a clutch. i only downshift taking turns and whatnot, but comin to a stop... i just ride the brakes.
the problem i have with just braking to slow down or stop without downshifting is that you are no longer in the appropriate gear if you need to accelerate for some reason. therefore, you need to downshift to maintain engine rpms in the powerband, and if you need to downshift while braking then you need to heel-toe to rev match.

i rev match about 90 percent of the time. the other three percent is either coasting to a stop where i know i won't be moving again, or letting the clutch come up very slowly to avoid jerking the car.

i actually test my driving method by carrying a small cup of water in the cup holder. if some splashes out, i'm not driving smooth enough!

jm2c
ken
Old 08-19-2003, 12:17 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
I usually just down shift before I start braking. I don't fully rev match, I just get it close enough with a blip of the throttle and take it up smoothly. Everything seems fine so far.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:28 PM

initial-d tofu tactic eh? hahahha... never actually thougth that was real , but i guess ill try that after i break in my new clutch.

Quick Reply: Downshifting