Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

downshift question.... (another one)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 02:14 PM

Car Info: black o2 sedan
downshift question.... (another one)

when i downshift.... i usually put in the clutch, and as im pulling it out of gear, with the clutch still in, i blip the throttle to get about 1000 rpms to match (or whatevers necassary)....and in the same motion put it straight into gear..... am i doing it totally wrong?

should i pull it out of gear and let the clutch off then blip the gas before i put it back in gear?

ive also noticed that a first to second shift is clunky unless i let the rpms drop about a grand before engagment..... when in other gears........ i can do it much sooner
Old 01-13-2003, 04:15 PM

Car Info: 02' WRX
if the clutch is in blipping the throttle doesnt do anything, it just spins the engine. Dont know what a clutch does? It disconnects the motor from the tranny. Anyway, dont bother with any of that, you've been watching too much fast and the furious.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:53 PM

Car Info: black o2 sedan
ok first off, bristihgay your a dumbas$ screw you...

LStrain, thanks for the help! so im doin a good downshift, thanks

what i was sayin about the 1 - 2 shift is that if i just put in the clutch at 3000 and shift to second, and then let off the clutch (even somewhat slowly) it will bounce or buck or just not be smooth but if i keep the clutch in a second longer until the rpms dop a bit more, it will go in perfectly smooth i was just wondering what the hell i am dopin wrong
Old 01-13-2003, 06:48 PM

Car Info: 02' WRX
alright, chill chill. I thougt you were talking about double clutching on the downshifts, not rev-matching. I've been around this stuff long enough that I've started to get sick of people asking about how to double clutch etc when its completely pointless (except for reverse!). Sorry if I was abit hasty ;-p

About you're other question, 1st and second are pretty sensitive gears, IE the ratios are so that you can buck the car around very easily with the throttle/clutch. The only way you'll really get it smooth is just driving around. It's a cliche, but it is just like riding a bike, you cant really tell someone to make themselves learn how to balance themselves and not fall of, their brains just have to develop the motor skills. Same with driving a stick. But it cant hurt to try ;-p. The reason its smooth if you let the clutch bite for a second is simply because you are spreading out the time in which the engine speed comes up to meet the speed of the wheels. It just sounds like you need to give the car more throttle while you let out the clutch so that the engine is closer to the right speed before it bites.

Last edited by Br1t1shguy; 01-13-2003 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-16-2003, 02:37 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Originally posted by Kestrel
Double clutching isn't completely useless...you still need it if you plan on driving big trucks anytime soon. Double clutching does what your synchro does, so doing it helps save your synchros.
why would you touch the clutch shifting a over the road truck?
1st+r only

the 1-2 gear change on the sube is a large step and it takes longer for the engine to slow down that much