Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Double clutching, or just rev match?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 09:03 AM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru STI
Originally Posted by yaya
if you understand the basics of a convential manual transmission you will understand double clutching has absolutely NO PURPOSE AT ALL. double clutching IS in-fact necessary on very stout trannys on tractors or heavy duty machinery without syncronizers that you would see in a construction yard. NOT YOUR 05 STI.
Apparently you haven't been PAYING ATTENTION. Go back and read again. Double clutching may not be necessary for sychro gearboxes, but double clutching does make it easier on the sychros. EVEN IN YOUR 05 STI.

By the way, WHY DO YOU YELL TO MAKE YOUR POINT?

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I'd submit all of it is a collassal waste of time...neither gets you around a track or to the grocery store any quicker, and as Gary said, you stand a bigger chance of breaking something.
Adam, how can it be a colossal waste of time when you have loads of time in the braking zones? I never feel rushed when double-clutching because there is so much time in braking.

I don't think I ever said there is a bigger chance of breaking something using double-clutching. I looked but couldn't find any reference to that.

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.teamSMR.com

Last edited by GarySheehan; 12-15-2004 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:18 AM

I misread your post Gary..sorry..it was early I'll have to try it in a WRX next time we are at the track. I suppose it matters what track you are at as well

Adam
Old 12-15-2004, 10:22 AM

Car Info: 03 MBP WRX
Double clutching is mainly used in racing so that the weight balance of the car is not disrupted during a downshift. Slamming into a lower a gear puts more weight on the rear of the car and can cause a loss of control. Double clutching allows the flywheel and drivetrain to spin at the same rpm maintaining the balance of the car.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by mbquarts
Double clutching is mainly used in racing so that the weight balance of the car is not disrupted during a downshift.
No, heel-toe is used to keep the car balanced during a downshift. Double-clutching is a technique that can be incorporated into a heel-toe downshift.

Slamming into a lower a gear puts more weight on the rear of the car and can cause a loss of control.
No, slamming into a lower gear without rev-matching (using heel-toe) transfers more weight to the front due to the additional engine braking, whether it's front, rear or awd. This can cause a loss of control if the traction at the driven wheels is exceeded.

Double clutching allows the flywheel and drivetrain to spin at the same rpm maintaining the balance of the car.
No, double-clutching allows the flywheel and input shaft of the drivetrain to spin at the same rpm as the rest of the gears in the transmission, reducing synchro wear or allowing the dogs to line up in a sychro or non-synchro gearbox, respectively. You can maintain balance of the car in a downshift with simple heel-toe. Double-clutching does nothing to maintain balance.

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.teamSMR.com

Last edited by GarySheehan; 12-15-2004 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:51 PM

Weight transfers to the front of the car when the clutch is depressed, and then transfers to the rear when the clutch is engaged. This will happen regardless of what technique you use. You can control the weight transfer with double clutching and heel toe. Double clutching helps to eliminate the rapid weight transfer to rear wheels, and heel toe can be used to transfer weight to the front wheels.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:55 PM

Weight transfers to the front of the car when the clutch is depressed, and then transfers to the rear when the clutch is engaged. This will happen regardless of what technique you use. You can control the weight transfer with double clutching and heel toe. Double clutching helps to eliminate the rapid weight transfer to rear wheels, and heel toe can be used to transfer weight to the front wheels.
What are you talking about?!

Are you talking about a braking situation? If so, while the clutch is engaged, the driven wheels are doing a very small fraction of the deceleration of the car due to engine compression, which transfers weight to the front of the car (i.e.-nose dives during deceleration). When you depress the clutch, that small portion of the decelerative force from engine compression is removed and a miniscule amount of weight is transferred rearward. If you are in a hard braking situation, this is negligible, since the brakes are doing 99.9% of deceleration and are the sole factor in weight transfer.

The only thing double clutching does is match the transmission input shaft rpm to layshaft rpm.

Where are you getting weight transfer from?

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.teamSMR.com
Old 12-15-2004, 09:42 PM

Weight transfer comes from slamming gears on a downshift. When you shift without matching revs the car lurches forward and weight is transfered to the rear wheels. You have to agree with this.

Like I said before revmatching or double clutching eliminates the lurch, hench it eliminates most of the weight transfer, thus it is controling weight transfer. I realize that this is not the only reason to revmatch or double clutch, but it is a factor.

I think we are on the same page, but for some reason we aren't seeing eye to eye on this.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:08 PM

Wink

Weight transfer comes from slamming gears on a downshift. When you shift without matching revs the car lurches forward and weight is transfered to the rear wheels. You have to agree with this.
AAHHHHH!!! I'm typing this one handed because my other one is busy keeping my head from exploding!

When you slam gears in a downshift without rev matching, the car does not lurch forward, YOU do. The car's sudden deceleration that results from instantaneous engine compression forces a weight transfer to the FRONT. That is why YOU (your body) lurches forward. That's why the tissue box flys off the rear deck and hits you in the head. That's why the nose of your car dips closer to the ground. Weight transfer to the front makes the springs compress. Please, take a minute, breath, and think this through.

Like I said before revmatching or double clutching eliminates the lurch, hench it eliminates most of the weight transfer, thus it is controling weight transfer. I realize that this is not the only reason to revmatch or double clutch, but it is a factor.
REVMATCHING eliminates the sudden engine compression caused by the drivetrain bringing engine rpm up to roadspeed. Double-clutching does not. Understand that double-clutching does not have to involve the gas pedal (i.e.-double-clutching a truck gearbox on an upshift does not use throttle). Double-clutching is a layer that can be used on top of a revmatching technique (like heel-toe braking/downshifting). Double-clutching is not a revmatching technique, but that is what you are implying.

I think we are on the same page, but for some reason we aren't seeing eye to eye on this.
If you stop saying that there is a weight transfer to the rear during any type of deceleration, we will be getting closer to seeing eye to eye

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.teamSMR.com
Old 12-16-2004, 09:15 AM

Car Info: 1990 thing
wow . . .
Old 12-16-2004, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by GarySheehan
If you stop saying that there is a weight transfer to the rear during any type of deceleration, we will be getting closer to seeing eye to eye
I never said that. It seems like I write something and you are responding about something else. I am going to have bail out of this thread...pulls ripcord.

btw no offense to you, but we aren't able to communicate on this for some reason.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:58 AM

I never said that. It seems like I write something and you are responding about something else. I am going to have bail out of this thread...pulls ripcord.
mbquarts, you said it right here...

Don't bail. This is a fun and lighthearted conversation, at least from my side. Let's get to the end.

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.teamSMR.com
Old 12-18-2004, 08:51 PM

Car Info: WR Blue Wagon
mbquarts seems to have his speakers wired out of phase. All the right noise is coming out of them, but it just doesn't quite sound right
Old 12-20-2004, 10:45 AM

I think the confussion in this thread comes from the fact that I was talking about accelerating and Gary was talking about decelerating.

I was talking about accelerating out of a turn, and I think Gary was talking about decelerating into a turn.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:04 PM

I think the confussion in this thread comes from the fact that I was talking about accelerating and Gary was talking about decelerating.

I was talking about accelerating out of a turn, and I think Gary was talking about decelerating into a turn.
Ahhh...in that case, forget about double clutching, rev matching or any of that. That's only for braking. Transfer of weight to the rear is good.

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.teamSMR.com
Old 12-22-2004, 02:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '94 WRX, '97 Forester S/Tb, '95 WRX-RA
I read though this entire thread and I now know way more then I ever wanted about heel-toe and double-clutching. I did a few more searches and found this. Might be a good laugh for those of you who are the real gurus of the technique...

Warning: Fast and the Furious references up ahead!

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t116979.html