Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Double Clutching? How many definitions are there?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 10:59 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
i have always heard of it being defintion #1

you push in clutch, put it in neutral, disengage clutch, blip the accelerator, engage clutch, put into gear, diengage clutch.

this is done to get the gears goin at the same speeds.

as arcanum said, modern day synchros take care of this and you don't have to do it on our cars

Last edited by ish; 11-25-2002 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-25-2002, 11:02 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
oh yeah, and IIRC, double clutching is mainly just used for down shifting. it can still be done on current cars to extend the life of the tranny some, i think.
Old 11-25-2002, 11:10 PM

Car Info: 2004+ Two Tone Green
man i though double clutching was necessary when racing. Vin Diesel says that i was not double clutching when i was supposed to.

nick
**post whoring master**
Old 11-25-2002, 11:47 PM

Car Info: 2004+ Two Tone Green
seems like alot of work. so why do you need to double clutch.

nick
**post whoring master**
Old 11-26-2002, 12:14 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX
ok, here goes... I would describe it as matching 3 separate parts in drivetrain: engine, layshaft (inside tranny), and drive shaft to wheels.
during downshifting you step on the clutch but all 3 are spinning at similar speed.(still in same gear) Now you put it in neutral and let up the clutch, and by engaging clutch you have the engine and layshaft spinning at same speed. you blip and speed up the layshaft. now you can downshift since layshaft matches closer to lower gear (higher gear ratio). you step on the clutch to downshift and blip second time to match engine and the rest (layshaft and driveshaft).

basically, double clutch involves extra blip to spin up the layshaft to match lower gear when shifting with no syncros.

hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:22 AM
VIP Member

only one definition

Number 1 is correct.

Number 2 is rev matching, usually associated with down shifting, which you may have to do while double clutching if your speed changes drastically before you can make the second part of the shift. On a car with poor syncros you may have to double clutch and rev match to shift up on widely space gears.

Why you do it?
It makes life easier for the syncros.
The instant you push in the clutch the main shaft of transmission is disconnected from the engine. When you kick it out of gear, the drag from all the gear oil and such starts to slow the shafts and gears down quickly. As described in the beginning it is nearly manditory on older truck transmissions because they have really clunky shifters and are very hard to shift quickly. The syncros also have to spin up much heavier gears in the truck transmissions.

By quickly releasing the clutch for a fraction of a second when you are in neutral it keeps the main shaft spinning at nearly the same speed it was before the shift and the syncros have less work to do to get gear speeds matched up.

If you have the video of the movie Bullit, listen to the engine note on Steve McQueens Mustang during the last part of the chase scene. You can clearly hear him double clutching each up shift.

Larry

Last edited by hotrod; 11-26-2002 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:02 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx
double clutching kills your clutch rite?
Old 11-26-2002, 04:40 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Originally posted by imprezton
I rev while clutch is depressed, shifter in transit. Seems to me it'd waste time stalling in neutral to match revs.
it's because you have syncros
if you dont, you have to blip in neutral to match engine and layshaft in tranny before you can downshift.

here's good info: http://www.howstuffworks.com/transmission2.htm

Quick Reply: Double Clutching? How many definitions are there?????