Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Double clutching

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 11:23 AM

I'm new at stick so I may just not be capable of understanding this yet but let me see if I got this right because I find it very interesting:

engage clutch go into neutral and disengage clutch - clutch again go into new gear and disengage?

Is that correct? If so, is this because the engine continues to rev high while in neutral as opposed to having the clutch in the entire time you shift through to the new gear?

Thanks for bearing with a newb really cool vids btw!!
Old 11-03-2004, 01:18 PM

Car Info: Silver WRX wagon
Originally Posted by LeadFoot77
I'm new at stick so I may just not be capable of understanding this yet but let me see if I got this right because I find it very interesting:

engage clutch go into neutral and disengage clutch - clutch again go into new gear and disengage?

Is that correct? If so, is this because the engine continues to rev high while in neutral as opposed to having the clutch in the entire time you shift through to the new gear?

Thanks for bearing with a newb really cool vids btw!!
Yes that is how you double clutch assuming you mean "press the clutch pedal" by "engage" and "release the clutch pedal" by disengage.

but no it is not "because the engine continues to rev high while in neutral". It only does that if you keep your foot on the gas pedal while changing gears which generally you should not do.

The reason is to allow the new gear to spin up to the "speed of the car" so that the gears can mesh easily. In modern gear boxes the synchromesh gears do this automatically so double clutching is generally not necessary. Unless you are a racer you would probably only use this technique occasionally to get into 1st or reverse since the synchros on those gears can be less effective and on some older cars, non existent.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:24 PM

how is the new gear going to spin up to match the engine rpm if you're in neutral though (between the two clutch activations)? I may just not know enough about transmissions in general to grasp this... I need to find some documentation on it.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:51 PM

Car Info: Silver WRX wagon
Releasing the clutch pedal spins gears.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission4.htm

Tim

Last edited by gotwrx; 11-03-2004 at 01:57 PM.