Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

convert 4wd to 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 10:38 AM

convert 4wd to 2wd

Is it possible to convert 4wd to 2wd on a wrx if possible how will it make my car faster & if so how can I convert it?
Old 03-15-2005, 10:41 AM

What kind of oil is best for my wrx
Old 03-16-2005, 04:55 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '94 WRX, '97 Forester S/Tb, '95 WRX-RA
I read an article in SCC last year that covered something like this. (Complete technical details are hazy) It involves buying a device that locks the center diff (or just welding it together, which, of course, is irreversible), causing all of the engine's output to be transferred to the rear wheels only, making the WRX a 2WD. Dunno if it made the car faster (1/4 mile times), but it did make the WRX driftworthy. At the end of the article, it was mentioned that the output shaft ended up shearing due to the fact that it wasn't made with the intention of handling all of the engine's power, only about half of it. It was cool to see, pretty easy to do yourself, but in the end, not a good idea. Not sure how this mod has evolved over the course of a year. Maybe somebody has some more-up-to-date information for you than this.

As far as oil goes... Mobil 1 synthetic. The exact weight depends on age of your car and personal preference. Do a search for volumes of info on this subject.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:09 AM

Car Info: 2001 2.5rs
haha.. those two questions were so not related. i love it

you can make your car fwd or rwd, as there are differentials.. you'd just need to lock one of them up to limit the awd. making your car rwd Might makes your car a little quicker (less understeer, a little but of fun oversteer), whereas fwd might make your car quicker in drag. it really depends on the kind of power you're shooting for and what kind of driver you are. in most cases, awd will haul *** off the line
Old 03-17-2005, 02:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '94 WRX, '97 Forester S/Tb, '95 WRX-RA
Originally Posted by cleofis
haha.. those two questions were so not related. i love it
No kiddin.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Forester XT Touring (Dark Gray Metallic)
Originally Posted by NEWBLOODWRX
Is it possible to convert 4wd to 2wd on a wrx if possible how will it make my car faster & if so how can I convert it?
Try this...

http://www.mrtrally.com.au/forums/to...TOPIC_ID=19306

Originally posted by Brett Middleton
[br][red]UPDATE 14th Dec we now have more stock of these parts ready for the 2005 season[/red]

[blue]Go 2wd drifting in your 4wd Subaru!
Hot on the demand for the latest trend of Drifting , MRT are pleased to offer a simple part that converts the Subaru 4wd transmission to 2wd. REAR WHEEL DRIVE

All in less than 2 hrs and you can do this at home!.

3 "spools" are available
one for the early (4 bolt) and a separate one for the current (8 bolt) 5 speed transmissions
and one for the 6 speed.

No special tools are necessary and the part simply replaces the factory centre LSD.
At any time you can change back to 4wd.

no disconnecting front drive shafts
no special mods
no removing of parts.

Simply remove the centre transfer case, (can be done with gearbox left in the car) remove the LSD, and swap in the spool, and refit!

The clever design allows the front diff and drivehafts to remain and rotate with the front wheels, etc without damage.

We have a limited number of parts in stock available for client feedback with a significant discount.

Separately we have stock for immediate delivery.
If you feel you are able to provide us with some final feedback and testing then contact us immediately.

Price excluding GST is $720

brett@mrtrally.com.au

Or order yours now.

Pics and partnumbers will be online shortly[/blue]

Brett Middleton
[]
www.MRTrally.com.au/shop
Old 03-21-2005, 04:38 PM

i saw it in a magazine the other day and they just pulled the driveshaft out to make it front wheel drive and then dynoed it at like 200whp.