Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Clutch Shudder Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 10:58 PM

Interesting note, as you're the first OBS owner I've read about getting the warranty work performed.

I want to mention one quick thing. I got to sit and drive an 03 WRX today, and it feels identical to my car. The pedal feel felt identical, so I think I probably just got used to my slightly lighter-pedal feel. And driving his car, felt EXACTLY like mine. I would argue that Subaru's are definitely towards the "more difficult to drive smoothly" spectrum, and the WRX is no different. But the way it is now (for me) is NO comparison to the way it "once was."
Old 03-23-2003, 11:37 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX, 06 A3
Voodoo-
I knew a guy I played counterstrike with, with that name from I thought Corcoran...
Old 03-24-2003, 07:35 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
It's cool. You can't delete them, but you can edit them down to 'double post.' No biggie man.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:30 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX
Thumbs down Clutch Shudder Problems with Subaru WRX

Ok people.. I had this clutch problem.. the shuddering in the morning, the deceleration noise, etc.. This probably started around say 10,000 miles.

After three visits to the selling dealer (Bill Kolb Subaru, Orangeburg, NY) they did nothing and said it was normal. I then went to Liberty Subaru (Oradell, NJ) and they said that the clutch was bad. They replaced the clutch, pressure plate, bearing, and bolts. Problems were gone! This was around 14,500 miles.

Since that time, and it wasn't that long ago (i drive alot) I saw the following story in the nov 2002 issue of road and track magazine:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=1

Here's an quote from the article:
"...nothing but smooth sailing up to the recently completed 14,000-mile mark. That's when we started to notice a slightly grabby clutch. "The clutch has begun to chatter during engagement," wrote one editor, "and does so rather violently when the engine is cold. When the engine is warm, the chatter goes away."

It's now at about 30,000 miles and the shuddering is coming back! I do not notice any decel noise but I'm sure that will be along too.

I mentioned the article and the research I have done online to the dealership and they said.. "maybe it's normal then"

I have an appointment for this friday for them to look at the car, but I'm not very optimistic. Oh I e-mailed SOA and they can't do anything but tell me to goto a dealership.

I am considering selling the car or getting an aftermarket clutch. Maybe I can back-bill SOA for the work.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:09 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Philtronix-

I would go back to the dealer that replaced your clutch before- it was admirable of them to do it under warranty before the TSB. Check your invoice if you have it, because it sounds like you got the same parts that were there before, just new ones. The TSB parts are new part numbers. So whether they really eliminate the shudder or not, you're entitled to a new clutch under warranty.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:48 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX
Arrow TSB on Clutch Issue

Hey guys,

Thanks for the info.. I'm not sure if this was covered but does anyone here have access to this TSB or is it a dealer only thing. Can I get a copy?

Also, I have the receipt and it shows the parts they replaced:

8/7/2002 14,658 miles

Qty-PartNumber-Description
1-30100aa791-Disc CP Clut
1-30210aa530-Cover CP Clut
1-30502aa080-Brg Clutch R
1-12342aa050-Fly Whl Ay F
8-800610740-Pt190301-Bol

I made an appointment for this friday at the dealership that replaced the clutch before. I may try and drop it off the night before, because as some of you know, the problem seems to only show itself after the car sits overnight. The longer it sits without driving, the easier it may be to show the dealer the problem...

=Phil

PS. Did you guys think that article was interesting?.. Has someone mentioned that before?

Last edited by Philtronix; 03-26-2003 at 04:00 AM.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:39 AM

Car Info: Silver 2002 WRX
I also got parts that were different than the ones listed on the TSB. When I called and asked about this, they said it was the heavier duty clutch. If it, the clutch shudder, happens again, I will have them do it over again.

Hopefullt, that won't happen.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:08 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Well, I recently had mine updated. Amazingly, the decel noise has mysteriously been reduced even though mine was supposedly not said to have the vin# for needing the decel-noise fix.

It feels smooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth now =0
Old 03-26-2003, 11:16 AM

Car Info: Silver 2002 WRX
HellaDumb: What is the deceleration noise you are talking about?? The noise when you do not have your foot on the gas and are slowing down but do not have the clutch pressed in???

I have that noise, and it seems to be louder after I had the clutch replaced. Any ideas???
Old 03-26-2003, 12:04 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX, 06 A3
Hey Dougz,

Can you post your part numbers from your "heavier duty" clutch. My clutch that was replaced by the dealer is VERY stiff, so im just wondering if you got the same parts.

Thanks man

Quick Reply: Clutch Shudder Warranty