Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Clutch Shudder Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 08:09 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
All necessary part numbers are included in the picture linked to above, including the flywheel and pressure plate.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:00 AM

Just posted this on the "other" forum, so it's a cut n' paste. But here's my results:

Wow. That's all I can say. The car feels great, in my opinion. Just picked it up this morning and it felt like a brand-new car. I had exactly 15080 miles when I dropped it off. I will list the part numbers used at the bottom, in case anybody needs it for reference. First and foremost, I have a newfound respect for A&T Subaru in Sellersville, PA. I have never had auto-service (esp. a DEALER) who did such a top notch job in every respect. I have typically had bad luck with Subaru dealers and tech's, but these guys know what they're doing!

So I picked up the car this morning, and what is my first thing I notice before even turning on the car? The clutch pedal is MUCH softer, easier to press down to the floor. While I like a good stiff clutch, stop n' go traffic got to be noticeably tiresome with the old clutch. What's the second thing I notice after turning on the car? Putting it into first on a cold morning after it was sitting over night, and having it pull away as smoothly as an automatic. Seriously, I have NEVER been able to drive this car so smoothly before in my life. Maybe it's just the fact that it's a new clutch, but of course my gut reaction is that whatever these "new magical parts" are, THEY are what fixed the problem. The car accelarates smoothly, pulls out of first and second like butter, and maybe it's just my imagination, but SHIFTING felt smoother too - not loose, as I have the STi short-throw, but SMOOTH - like it went into gear easier - this one is tough to describe.

But my gosh - It was like driving a brand new car again. Pulling away from stop signs/red lights while either going at "normal" speed, or "spirited" (but not 5000k clutch dump) launches - the car is just so nice and smooth now!!! I noticed no funny noises, abnormalities, or what have you.

I wanted to go easy on it, so I can't give any figures of whether or not my performance changed - obviously, seat of the pants felt no difference whatsoever. (Actually, it was much faster, but that's because I have been driving my dad's outback for the last 2 days!!! ) I have a TT with timing capabilities that I have been relying on for benchmarks for the past 4 months, and while the actual NUMBER may not be accurate, they serve as EXCELLENT benchmarks for my car. Once I get a few more miles on the clutch and can find a nice time to do a little "testing" I will report back.

All in all, I couldn't be happier. It's only been about 30 miles now, but it is so noticeable it's not even funny. The pedal certainly has a lighter feel, but for me, it's much easier to feel the engagement point now. There is a little bit more room to work with. This is an exageration, but I would compare it to the following:
The old clutch was digital - on or off. This new, updated clutch, is analog - has a range of "acceptable" travel where it engages. (Yes, this is probably a bad example, but that's how I can best describe it in English!) The whole way home in a lot of different kinds of traffic, there was no shudder, no chatter, no bucking, etc... - just nice and smooth!

I also got my drivers side window fixed under warranty! No more squeaking when I roll it down, and the air-leak which had developed around 5000 miles is gone too! (After getting into the car, and closing the drivers door, I used to have to put the window down about 3" and roll it back up to seal an air-gap which would whistle at 30mph+)

So big props to A&T for taking care of this, and I guess I can say big props to SOA for offering a solution under warranty. I can only hope the rest who are suffering with this problem have as easy of a time as I did.

For those who want the part numbers, (which have already been posted, but here they are again) they are as follows, as are the EXACT words off of the paperwork:
------------------------------------------------
Manual trans-clutch
Customer states clutch shudder
Weak pressure plate
Replaced Clutch assembly
WC JAC-26 B323-001 3.6 C325-101 .3

Parts
QTY - 1 - 12342AA071 - FLY WHEEL AY
QTY - 1 - 30210aa570 - COVER CP CLU
QTY - 1 - 30100AA840 - DISK CP CLUT
QTY - 6 - 800508310 - BOLT/WASHER
QTY - 1 - 44022AA180 - GASKET

Hope that helps - good luck to everybody else!
Old 03-16-2003, 07:27 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX, 06 A3
My 02' wrx got the new clutch upgrade at 2200 miles. The previous owner just took it in complaining about noise and slight shudder and they replaced it. Now 18,000 miles later I still have the clutch shudder. Its not very bad at all and only shows itself in the first few shifts of my drive when its cold so I prefer the stiffer pedal over the new fix...
Old 03-21-2003, 02:34 AM

Personal letter to general A&T Service and Tech's was written that afternoon. I wrote my "feedback" this morning as it's now been 1 week since the work was performed, and I am simply thrilled.

I am also writing a love letter to Diane, as she was so kind to me on the phone initally, as well as coordinating the work being performed

Yes - class act all the way to them, and while I'm sure they get letters all the time, I just hope it brighten's up somebody's day!

Actually, just 2 quick updates as well:

1. The pedal does not feel as light as it did last week. I think there is certainly a good chance I just "got used to it" but unfortunately, haven't had time to try out another 5MT WRX's stock pedal to compare side by side. I guess it is somewhat possible it "stiffened up" after the break-in, but more than likely it's just my leg+foot getting used to it. Initially, it was a bit different, but now it feels completely normal.

2. I have an HKS Type I TT, Black (US Spec) that I use for benchmarking my car. Some will argue the accuracy, and that's cool, as I use it as a BENCHMARK - not an official time slip. Anyway, I admit this test is somewhat flawed as I also installed a light-weight (not underdriven) pulley a few days prior to the clutch getting fixed, which has a claimed WHP of 3-5. But the bottom line is that my times just ever so slightly improved. I mean barely. It is what I would assume as being on par for a pulley, and error. I did not notice any degradation of performance. I go REALLY easy when "testing" my car, and I have a nice spot on my home street that is pretty darned flat and in no danger of peds or kids or traffic. I usually do 2 or 3 runs- 1/8th mile time, with trap speed and VERY easy launches - I'm talking a typical launch is a bogged 2500RPM creep. Anyway, the numbers always came out damed near the same as I was getting a few months ago, if ever so VERY slightly less, but most CERTAINLY not higher.

Therefore, my unscientific conclusion is that this TSB will not drastically affect performance. Some had aruged that they are putting in a heavier flywheel, and I can't comment on that, but by my measurements, it did not appear to affect my vehicle by any measureable performance.

Oh yeah - and the damned thing surprises me every morning when I get in the car and expect the neck jarring "chugg a chugg a chugga" and it just pulls away nice and smooth.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:15 PM

Hey guys like I posted before the previous owner of my 02' wrx had the entire clutch assembly replaced at 5,434 miles under warranty. He told me it would make some odd noise and some chatter. But he said after it was replaced that it was no different. I do notice the chatter when the car is cold, but only for the first few shifts. The clutch that is in the car now is MUCH stiffer then the stock clutch that I have tested myself on other stock cars. So im happy with what I have. I just wanted to reference the part numbers that were changed:

Disc 30100aa790
Cover 30210aa530
Flywheel 12342aa050
Bolt 800610740
Gasket 44022aa180

Anyone know anything about these part numbers?

Thanks guys
Old 03-22-2003, 04:54 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Uh... which dealer was it? A few of us would really like to know!
Old 03-22-2003, 11:56 PM

Hey voodoo, you dont happen to live in Corcoran CA do you?

Quick Reply: Clutch Shudder Warranty