Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Clutch Shudder Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 05:41 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally posted by SnoHumper
I recently took in my Suby to get some transmission parts replaced under warranty, and then without asking they did the clutch judder stuff too. Only problem is I didn't have it before I took it in, now I do! What should I do? Go back and complain or what? thanks

rob
Yes, take it back in. How many miles do you have now?
Old 08-18-2003, 06:03 PM

Car Info: sc300
I have 19k. The weird part about it was that I didn't ask for them to do anything about clutch judder. Just a winding noise that resulted from launching at 6000rpm . I think i did something horrible to the 1st gear synchro or something.

They gave me all the parts on the list a couple pages back, except for the bolt/washer part # was 800508310, and there was another part I received not on the list #30502AA080.

rob
Old 08-19-2003, 05:40 PM

Avoid Ed Reilly Subaru in Concord, NH. If you want to read my story you can On the other hand Belknap Subaru was more than willing to help me out. I highly recommend them.

I had documented the problem before the TSB was released (@ about 10K miles) and had them tell me it was "normal". Anyway, at the time there was no TSB so I didn't complain too loudly, but I did have them document that I was having the problem. When the TSB was released though I was right in line. I went in one evening to talk to them and one service guy said they would replace it according to the TSB. I SAW him mark off a mechanics day schedule with my information. Nothing else was said. He asked if I could drop it off in the morning and I told him I would. The appointment was for about 1.5 weeks later.
When I brought the car in that morning I went inside to drop off my keys and a different service asked if it was suddering now. I said "Of course not, I've just driven 25 miles from my house and as you know it only does it when it is cold." He said, "Well, it has to show the problem before we can fix it." I calmly explained to him that was not acceptable since I've apparently just waited 1.5 weeks to have you realize the problme exists even though it's documented with you. I also explained that I had made an appointment to FIX the problem, not DIAGNOSE it. I finally walked out of there steaming and was about to hop in my friends truck to go to work when I realized that they shouldn't treat customers like this. I walked back in and told them I would find a new dealer that cares about their customers.... grabbed my keys and left. I even wrote a letter to the owner explaining my ordeal with links to this thread and several other sources. I got no reply. I guess Mr. Reilly does not care about his customers.
So tonight I stopped at Belknap Subaru in Belmont, NH and told them my story. The service manager said "Well, you've found a new dealer." I am having my car fixed either Friday or Monday with about 59K on the odometer. He wants me to drop it off the night before so he can verify the problem exists which I am fine with since I have never actually complained to him about it. The best part is that the service manager was all greasy and dirty! He actually works!
So, to anyone in the area Belknap Subaru is more than happy to help out loyal customers. I can tell you that I will buy my next Subaru there and will make sure to tell as many people as I can that Ed Reilly Subaru is not a place you want to business at. It's too bad some dealers really don't want our business. I would like to think that Subaru might crack down on this poor support but I doubt it will ever happen. Sorry for the rant

-Joe
02 WRX
87 Supra Turbo
Old 08-22-2003, 02:40 PM

does anyone know the quality difference between the stock clutch and the tsb clutch? ive been reading that the tsb replacement clutch is worse... performance wise i assume. anyone konw???
Old 08-22-2003, 02:51 PM

It's just that the flywheel is a couple pounds heavier. It's unlikely you would notice it. The TSB clutch has much smoother uptake IMO.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:03 PM

Car Info: '03 Black Sedan
Belknap is a great dealer!

My question is I have 12.5K miles on my 2003 and no shutter...do I not let anyone touch it until (and if) I do?
Old 08-22-2003, 09:24 PM

Check your VIN against the ones in the TSB. It lists the exact VIN where they switched to using hte new components. If you have the new ones, you're fine. If you have the old ones, you still have until the end of your basic warranty to get it fixed if it shows up.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:03 AM

Car Info: 02 WRB WRX
Can anyone tell me if the TSB discusses here is a more agressive or less aggressive clutch than the stock WRX clutch?

My dealer just documented my clutch shudder this AM. I'm in Canada and our TSB on this issue only covers the 2.5L cars. My service guy said I have three options:
1. Get the stock clutch replaced
2. Get the upgraded clutch as per the USA TSB
3. Put in an aftermarket (I pay for it)

I am trying to debate as to whether I get the stock clutch replaced, which is supposed to be an aggressive clutch. Or, get the USA TSB recommended clutch. I have considered going aftermarket but the funds can't support it at the moment. I am considering throwing in a short-throw though.

Thing is, the Master Tech at my dealer tells me that the 2.5L clutch replacement is a less aggressive clutch to make engagement smoother but as a result, you lose some off-the-line performance and clutch life is shorter. Does anyone know if this is also true for the 2.0L Turbo clutch upgrade? If it is, I may just get the stock clutch replaced with the same unit. Has anyone actually seen the two clutches side-by-side for a good comparison?

Thanks, JC
Old 09-11-2003, 03:59 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
Many thanks to everyone participating in this thread! I had never heard of clutch shudder until now, but the symptoms described in the previous 20 pages are exactly what I have been moaning about for the last 2 months.

I've got an '02 WRX with 12k miles, judder appeared about a month ago, and I brought it to the dealer (Mid-City Subaru in Chicago), and the guy just told me he couldn't reproduce it, so I let it go. I just called them back five minutes ago and spoke to a different guy (I think his name is Wojtek, SUPER-nice) and he knew immediately what I was talking about. He scheduled me to get it all replaced next week, so I'll give a progress report when I get it back.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to relate their experiences, it's a huge help!
Old 09-18-2003, 10:56 AM

the release bearing is not a failed part.or come into contact with the clutch disc.its not replaced because its still good.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:45 PM

Bump. Was going to sticky this, but not many affected cars remain.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:33 AM

Car Info: 02' WRX
Originally posted by EvilWRX Kelesh
OK I think I have the same problem with my car. If your sound is like an annoying wyning noise past 3-4k rpm then mine is the same. From what ive heard it can be the tranny, transfer case, and/or the cold clutch shudder. Id like to say that I made a mistake when I brought my car in with after market parts in my car and now no Subaru will touch my car. I just was informed from an I-Club member that it maybe cause by the cold clutch judder that was left unchecked for so long. The noise does not happen while not moving but as soon as you hit the road its all over. Let me know if this sounds something like you have. Also please list the mods you may have.
Pretty much any subaru with the 5 speed has a certain amount of gearbox whine, more than most cars. The 5 speed is pretty much an antique as far as gearbox technology goes, and thus doesnt have all the fancy anti-harmonic gear faces etc that modern gearboxes do. It's also somewhat a function of the fact that theres not just a two halfshafts or two halfshafts and a diff, theres two halfshafts, a mini transfer shaft, and two diffs moving around in there.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:00 AM

Car Info: Blaze yellow WRX 2002
Is it true that if you are over 30K that you can not get your flywheel and clutch replaced under warranty if you have some shudder?

I am still under my 36K 3 year warranty but I am above 30K

Quick Reply: Clutch Shudder Warranty